• Spangled

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Mix-variety

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
Pics
No, several of those varieties would not really be completely compatible due to certain altering genes that some of them have. Crele with any of the others would produce males heterozygous for barring; that is, with only one copy of barring instead of two so they aren't appropriately colored for Crele. Reds with Silvers would make Golden males and either Red females or inappropriately colored Silver females. For the same reason, Goldens with Silvers would make some Goldens and some not-quite-Silvers because Goldens have a reddening gene like the Reds do (not sure which exactly, I think autosomal red) that Silvers don't have and that would mess up the Silvers' coloring from my understanding. Any of the Silver Duckwings should be compatible with each other, but you could get other varieties like Platinum Silver Duckwing (that's both fawn and blue on the same bird). You could technically breed any of the Reds together and get true varieties as well, though Red Pyle might throw a wrench in the works there due to generally being based on the dominant white gene, which can let black flecks leak through when heterozygous. Red Pyle x any of the other Reds would make leaky Red Pyles, in other words.

So basically, the ____ Reds are all (mostly) compatible, the ____ Silver Duckwings are all compatible, and the ____ Golden Duckwings are compatible, but intermixing any of those groups with each other is where it gets a bit more complicated.
That interesting

I have this lil cutie I love to pieces. Not sure what they are, but super friendly and lets me pick them up any time. Calms down even when I do.

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_154048.jpg
    IMG_20231129_154048.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231121_200905.jpg
    20231121_200905.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231121_200856.jpg
    20231121_200856.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231121_200929.jpg
    20231121_200929.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 4
Where did you get him? He looks more like a hatchery Dutch bantam than an OEGB. Dutch have white earlobes and slate shanks like him, whereas OEGBs should have red ear lobes and white shanks.

Whoops, great minds and all that ;)

He looks more like a Dutch bantam with the earlobe color and his blue legs
I know he does, but I still call him an Old English Game Bantam *mix* because he definitely looks like he has that in his genetics.

Where did you get him? He looks more like a hatchery Dutch bantam than an OEGB. Dutch have white earlobes and slate shanks like him, whereas OEGBs should have red ear lobes and white shanks.

Whoops, great minds and all that ;)
Above reply—I know he's mixed. I got him from Tractor Supply (A.K.A. the place where you never know what you're going to get).

If he's from TSC, then he is a hatchery-quality Dutch bantam, not an OEGB mix. Many (likely most) hatchery Dutch lines have been outcrossed to OEGBs to improve fertility and vigor in the past, but that's no different than a breeder outcrossing to improve their line in some way. Chickens are not pedigreed like other selectively bred animals are; instead breeds are distinguished by their appearances. Outcrossing maybe produces mixes in the first few generations, but once the birds have been bred back to the original breed or have been properly selected for breeding and return to having the original breed's traits, they are then just considered that breed again. If that was not the case, then we would never be able to introduce new varieties to any of the established breeds.

In short, it would be far more accurate to refer to him as a hatchery-quality Dutch bantam than as an OEGB mix if he's a TSC bird. 🙂

If he's from TSC, then he is a hatchery-quality Dutch bantam, not an OEGB mix. Many (likely most) hatchery Dutch lines have been outcrossed to OEGBs to improve fertility and vigor in the past, but that's no different than a breeder outcrossing to improve their line in some way. Chickens are not pedigreed like other selectively bred animals are; instead breeds are distinguished by their appearances. Outcrossing maybe produces mixes in the first few generations, but once the birds have been bred back to the original breed or have been properly selected for breeding and return to having the original breed's traits, they are then just considered that breed again. If that was not the case, then we would never be able to introduce new varieties to any of the established breeds.

In short, it would be far more accurate to refer to him as a hatchery-quality Dutch bantam than as an OEGB mix if he's a TSC bird. 🙂
I agree. Ever since he started feathering out, he always looked like an Old English Game Bantam/Dutch Bantam hybrid to me. In my opinion, Jasper has the body shape of most Old English Game Bantams and the ear and leg color of a Dutch Bantam. Sometimes I wish all hatcheries (and stores that supply chickens that come from hatcheries, like Tractor Supply) would track which birds are bred to which so it does not cause confusion when their chickens are poor quality. Overall, Jasper's definitely not typey, but I like his appearance anyways.

Back
Top Bottom