OK to use seed starting mat to help pullets keep warm?

Jaebird

Hatching
May 20, 2024
We're first-time chicken owners--we bought 4 pullets and brought them home yesterday. We were told they were off heat and ready to go in the coop, and I hadn't read anything suggesting it was more complicated than that, so that's what we did. Then last night I stumbled across an article saying pullets should be gradually introduced to the coop (these girls had been living in a spacious, warm, well-lit garage with a glass door).

Unfortunately there's a cold front moving through right now, and it's about 60 degrees out there and overcast, going down to the low 50s overnight, for the next two days. Then it will go up to the 70s again. Bad timing for these girls who aren't used to chilly weather. They're huddled together in a sheltered part of the coop.

I've got some seed starting mats, and was considering putting one in the spot they're in now (walls on 3 sides on top of brick pavers and bedding), and maybe one above them under the roosting bars in the coop proper for overnight. The mats are designed to raise the temperature 10-20 degrees, they don't have thermostats.

Would that be safe and helpful to get them through the chilly weather and acclimatizing to being outdoors?

How old is the chicks? I'd be concerned about using the mats as they could bare a risk of a fire hazard and may introduce chemicals that you don't want them pecking. Chicks can be messy as well, so they might damage them. I don't know how warm they get, but I'd also be concerned about them being too hot and burning your chicks' little feet. I would recommend a heat lamp with low heat or a heat plate first.
Depending how old your chicks are, they might be fine. How you're saying they've been huddling, I'd almost just bring them in at night and put them back out (depending on their age) in the morning. Is there any drafts in the coop? How big is the coop vs how many chicks you have?

How old is the chicks? I'd be concerned about using the mats as they could bare a risk of a fire hazard and may introduce chemicals that you don't want them pecking. Chicks can be messy as well, so they might damage them. I don't know how warm they get, but I'd also be concerned about them being too hot and burning your chicks' little feet. I would recommend a heat lamp with low heat or a heat plate first.
Depending how old your chicks are, they might be fine. How you're saying they've been huddling, I'd almost just bring them in at night and put them back out (depending on their age) in the morning. Is there any drafts in the coop? How big is the coop vs how many chicks you have?
Thanks! They're 8 weeks, so definitely not chicks. It's raining now (which it wasn't forecast to do) and I'd actually be worried about electrical shorts with the seed mats, since they can take some water but aren't designed for this, so based on your reply and @nuthatched, I'm thinking I'll just leave them be. I can't really bring them in because of our cats.

Thanks! They're 8 weeks, so definitely not chicks. It's raining now (which it wasn't forecast to do) and I'd actually be worried about electrical shorts with the seed mats, since they can take some water but aren't designed for this, so based on your reply and @nuthatched, I'm thinking I'll just leave them be. I can't really bring them in because of our cats.
8 weeks? They should be plenty fine. Just ensure there's no drafts and I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom