Ohio train wreck

My heart seriously goes out to anyone affected by the toxic gas released from this wreck. I'm nowhere near it, but I've been sitting here seriously considering what I'd do if I found myself in this situation. There are no good solutions, and the whole thing is a nightmare. I'm so sorry to anyone dealing with this.
I’d probably put my chickens in the garage…

We have well water/ an entire system of complicated filters and stuff so we aren’t too worried and I havent seen anyone near me with a well system testing theirs.
Hi! Just my two cents as a chemist—I would still get your well independently tested. There are mail order kits that are great. The VOCs like vinyl chloride and the other compounds that spilled take a while to leech into the ground water table, but once they’re there it’s almost impossible to remove them. If you have an RO system for your whole house you’re *probably* ok, but organic compounds are tough on the filter membrane, so you’ll have to change it more often and test its functionality anyway.

Last edited:
Hi! Just my two cents as a chemist—I would still get your well independently tested. There are mail order kits that are great. The VOCs like vinyl chloride and the other compounds that spilled take a while to leech into the ground water table, but once they’re there it’s almost impossible to remove them. If you have an RO system for your whole house you’re *probably* ok, but organic compounds are tough on the filter membrane, so you’ll have to change it more often and test its functionality anyway.
This is great to know, thank you! Could you recommend a specific mail order test?

Wow...
Dear fly-over country. Die.
DeWine Spokesperson Dan Tierney told Fox that FEMA said the train derailment did not qualify as a natural disaster, such as a tornado or earthquake, and was therefore ineligible for aid.

According to the "Current Disasters" portion of the FEMA website, "Disasters can come in many forms. FEMA responds to all declared domestic disasters and emergencies, whether natural or man-made."

Last edited:
This is great to know, thank you! Could you recommend a specific mail order test?
When we moved into our home here in OH we used this product to test our well. I liked it because it had pre- and post- water filter testing.

https://mytapscore.com/products/simple-water-home-test

Their advanced well water testing kit lists vinyl chloride and benzene as being tested. I’ll have to check on the by-products produced from the burn and any other hazards that spilled. Those were the two I remembered. It’s pretty fairly priced for the comprehensiveness of the test, but I bet you could just call them or email them and explain the situation and see if they can create a custom test for just the VOCs. I do see custom tests on the site for specific chemicals and they are cheaper than the comprehensive test.

When we moved into our home here in OH we used this product to test our well. I liked it because it had pre- and post- water filter testing.

https://mytapscore.com/products/simple-water-home-test

Their advanced well water testing kit lists vinyl chloride and benzene as being tested. I’ll have to check on the by-products produced from the burn and any other hazards that spilled. Those were the two I remembered. It’s pretty fairly priced for the comprehensiveness of the test, but I bet you could just call them or email them and explain the situation and see if they can create a custom test for just the VOCs. I do see custom tests on the site for specific chemicals and they are cheaper than the comprehensive test.
Thank you!! Will you get your water tested as well? How close to the wreck are you?

I’m about 150 miles away, but if it’s in the water it may reach me as well, so I’d like to be prepared!

Agree - we test ours at our city water division for a fraction of the price of private labs and can choose any of the things they test the city water for. I don't know that some of these chemicals will be available so may go the private lab route next time, but our local private lab has a $300 minimum. Our test last week at the city water lab was $35 by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom