OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I wou
Haha yeah that's true. It was an odd time of year for a hatch. But I currently have them on my (UNheated) screened in porch, so basically outside, with a heat lamp and they are doing great. Any garage, screened porch, or sectioned off part of a coop should work. By about 8-10 weeks they will be mostly feathered and can be slowly weaned off the heat to begin integrating with the flock. So I hope there are people out there able to make that work. It's not too different from raising spring or fall chicks.
Take them but unfortunately I'm about 4 and a half hours away. I have an indoor nursery for babies fluffy butts. Currently have 17 buff orps, 10 barnyard mix and 19 coturnix quail and 13 more buff eggs due to hatch in 8 days. I like winter hatching gives me something to do.

Hello Y'all. Southeastern Ohio here. Wingett Run near Marietta. Washington County. I raise Cayguas Ducks. Working on my Wyandotte Flock. Turkeys, Ringneck Pheasant, and Coturnix Quail. Also raise registered and unregistered Nigerian Dwarf goats.
Welcome!

Haha yeah that's true. It was an odd time of year for a hatch. But I currently have them on my (UNheated) screened in porch, so basically outside, with a heat lamp and they are doing great. Any garage, screened porch, or sectioned off part of a coop should work. By about 8-10 weeks they will be mostly feathered and can be slowly weaned off the heat to begin integrating with the flock. So I hope there are people out there able to make that work. It's not too different from raising spring or fall chicks.
Wow, that's great to hear. I hope you get a response soon. That's amazing that they can do with basically being outside with just a heat lamp. I was so protective of my ducklings, maybe they would have survived but I couldn't take the chance with them since they like to get all wet in the water and such.

Wow, that's great to hear. I hope you get a response soon. That's amazing that they can do with basically being outside with just a heat lamp. I was so protective of my ducklings, maybe they would have survived but I couldn't take the chance with them since they like to get all wet in the water and such.
Thanks! And yeah, I'd imagine it could be a little different with ducks and being all wet.

I wou

Take them but unfortunately I'm about 4 and a half hours away. I have an indoor nursery for babies fluffy butts. Currently have 17 buff orps, 10 barnyard mix and 19 coturnix quail and 13 more buff eggs due to hatch in 8 days. I like winter hatching gives me something to do.
Welcome to BYC and the Ohio thread! Thanks anyway. I wish we weren't so far. I bet these chicks would do great on your homestead. What you have sounds like what I aspire to have in the future! I just have chickens and a garden now in the city, but one day I would like to have more land to have a larger garden, more chickens, and some ducks, rabbits, and dairy goats!

Welcome to BYC and the Ohio thread! Thanks anyway. I wish we weren't so far. I bet these chicks would do great on your homestead. What you have sounds like what I aspire to have in the future! I just have chickens and a garden now in the city, but one day I would like to have more land to have a larger garden, more chickens, and some ducks, rabbits, and dairy goats!
I'm working on building my Wyandotte Flock and possibly get buckeye chickens in the future. I currently have sapphire gems, black diamonds, GL & BLR Wyandottes. I don't mind other chicken breeds and when I moved here and bought the house it came with a half dozen chickens mixed flock. My mixed flock are my free rangers. Right now though everyone is mixed together for winter protection. Have a friend up the road that raises Buff Orphingtons just hatched some out for her. You might try posting the chicks on craigslist.

I'm working on building my Wyandotte Flock and possibly get buckeye chickens in the future. I currently have sapphire gems, black diamonds, GL & BLR Wyandottes. I don't mind other chicken breeds and when I moved here and bought the house it came with a half dozen chickens mixed flock. My mixed flock are my free rangers. Right now though everyone is mixed together for winter protection. Have a friend up the road that raises Buff Orphingtons just hatched some out for her. You might try posting the chicks on craigslist.
That's really cool! It's nice you can experiment with different breeds to see which you like best. I think you'll like the Buff Orps. You can't really go wrong with those. And btw, I did just post the chicks on Craigslist.

I would say go for the Buckeyes if you can! I only have one so far but if I had the space I would get a whole flock of them. She's docile and hardy, and a nice layer but nothing crazy. She's hatchery stock though, so more bred for laying and less for meat and broodiness. I bet the ones from breeders are an even better dual purpose bird. This website has some links for where to get purebred Buckeyes if you do decide to get them in the future. https://americanbuckeyeclub.org/

That's really cool! It's nice you can experiment with different breeds to see which you like best. I think you'll like the Buff Orps. You can't really go wrong with those. And btw, I did just post the chicks on Craigslist.

I would say go for the Buckeyes if you can! I only have one so far but if I had the space I would get a whole flock of them. She's docile and hardy, and a nice layer but nothing crazy. She's hatchery stock though, so more bred for laying and less for meat and broodiness. I bet the ones from breeders are an even better dual purpose bird. This website has some links for where to get purebred Buckeyes if you do decide to get them in the future. https://americanbuckeyeclub.org/
Thank you!!

A week in Ohio
b9abf535cab19de2a5b74aff354ce9aa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom