OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Last edited:
I really cannot tell the sexes of my Pekins or Rouen ducklings quite yet. All I know is that I need to get off my butt and finish off the coop that I am building for them so that I can move them out of my garage. Have I mentioned that they really are messy and stink?
For Sure!!!! That is why my 3 week old Rouen Ducks went outside along with my 6 week old Call Ducks. Having the 4 in the house at the same time was bad even though I changed the bedding constantly it seemed. I went through so many bags of pine shavings, lol.

For Sure!!!! That is why my 3 week old Rouen Ducks went outside along with my 6 week old Call Ducks. Having the 4 in the house at the same time was bad even though I changed the bedding constantly it seemed. I went through so many bags of pine shavings, lol.
I just went out and tried to sex my two Rouen Ducklings. I know for sure the Calls are a drake and hen. I have a chance to get rid of my drakes to a coworker who wants a drake flock. I am thinking seriously about getting rid of my Mallard looking drake and the Rouen one for sure if it turns out to be one or if both do. She will give them a good home. I just have mixed emotions about only having 3 little Call drakes and if the girls will be happy with that. I don't need more babies for sure though. Can you give me any thoughts on what you would do if you were me?

Speaking of little ducklings here is the first hen to hatch this spring, 4 others still sitting. She hatched 7 out of the 9 eggs I let her sit, they hatched 2 days ago making them 3 days old todayView attachment 3834387View attachment 3834388View attachment 3834389View attachment 3834390.
I wish I knew an easy way to sex them when they are only about 4 weeks old. Voice sexing sounded like a drake and a hen but it's still too early to tell for sure. No green sheen on their heads yet but a pink and dark colored bill. Some yellow on it too though so they are probably both drakes. The tails on them look alike but one is pointed sort of up and the other one is not.

I wish I knew an easy way to sex them when they are only about 4 weeks old. Voice sexing sounded like a drake and a hen but it's still too early to tell for sure. No green sheen on their heads yet but a pink and dark colored bill. Some yellow on it too though so they are probably both drakes. The tails on them look alike but one is pointed sort of up and the other one is not.
Yes, they can be tough.

Back
Top Bottom