Oh no... Not another Lavender Orpington gender concern (@20 ish weeks)?

CatsMeowMix

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2020
Hello interwebs - long time reader, first time poster here...
Let me get to the point (with some light rambling upfront):
Husband was awesome this spring (March 2020) and surprised me with a fancy chic tractor to help me find some focus after our beloved cat passed away (@19!)
We got four babies (the max our township and space allowed) from a breeder about an hour from us. I researched the breeds that would work for our lifestyle and rolled the dice... Sex linked birds were not what we wanted and we wanted a mixed flock. The breeder gave us a 90% accuracy but we all know how that goes (or none of us would be here) and of course: No roosters allowed.
Point of the story - I haven't slept since we got them on April 15th. Each one has kept me guessing at some point. And to make matters ever more difficult - each chick has a different vague hatch date within about 1 week of each other. Ugh!
The bird currently in question is Sophia, our Lavender Orpington. "She" is approximately 19?20?21? weeks old. The wattles started to drop last week and face is pinking up. Feathers have the shredder gene it appears, so seeing if there are saddle feathers starting is nigh on impossible. There is a lot of fluff (and not a lot of patience with this one) for me to go rummaging around. And look at this tail?!
I would like to start to sleep again...
Anyone got thoughts?
IMG_20200820_083314.jpg
IMG_20200820_083259.jpg
IMG_20200820_083237.jpg

Pretty pullet.

Usually if their combs are just going pink/red at 18-20 weeks, you've got a girl. My lavender orpington cockerel has a bigger/redder comb than that at 10 weeks and it has already been red for a while.

Welcome and get some rest :)

Back
Top Bottom