Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 6.9%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 79 16.5%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 116 24.3%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 83 17.4%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 166 34.7%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 153 32.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 157 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
See, my family just kinda gives them names. Not goofy names. Not chicken names. Just…names that you would give a human being. Well, for the most part. We have a couple that the 6yo and 8yo named that don’t…make any sense (Peeker, Rainbow, Milly (our biggest rooster), and Carrot). But I personally try to name based on appearance or have a theme for several chicks.

My chickens that I have named are: Demigod Bob (he was my first. Didn’t know what I was doing.), Hope (poor thing was so sickly when we got her :( ), Cinnamon, Scoresby, Iorek, Pantalaimon, Jack Sparrow, Pearl, Rum, Donna, Orion, Arthur, Merlin, Redhead. I’m sure that there are more, but this is a chicken post. Not a horse post lol.

It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
when I buy them at the store, my little siblings name them. sometimes we name them after how they look, and I named one Broody because I wanted to be able to raise chicks alongside the flock.

however, I often choose a theme when hatching eggs. ex:

philosophers and other Greek and Roman figures.(Diogenes, Pliny, Socrates, Nicolaus, Pythagoras, Cassius, Apollonius, Plato, Alexander)

poisons (Arsenic, Ivy, Hypervitaminosis, Foxglove)

disasters (Tsunami, Tectonic, Twister, Inferno, Hailstorm, Landslide )

Spanish numbers (Uno)

pop culture/ cartoon (Foghorn, Chickaletta Ginger, Heihei )

Back
Top Bottom