Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Canning & Preserving Contest

Entry #1
Lilac jelly
IMG_0303.jpeg

A couple of days ago I made gooseberry jam.
Фото3897.jpg

Фото3899.jpg

Фото3903.jpg

I always have completely different canning jars, there is a whole collection of them. As a rule, these are carefully washed and scalded cans from red caviar, kvass wort concentrate (a drink similar to beer, only it is made from rye flour or bread), from some beef stew bought in a store, and so on. This is the Russian standard for cans, if you look closely, the lids are slightly different. Some of them are simply screwed, some require a special seaming machine. Other than that, it's an easy process.
The jam recipe that I use requires a lot of sugar, for 1 kg of berries there are 2 kg of sugar. First, sugar syrup is boiled (a lot of sugar and a little water so that the sugar does not turn into caramel), after which the berries are poured into this sugar and boiled. There are two ways - either cook for a long time, or boil three times for 5 minutes. Those. the jam has boiled, it is boiled for 5 minutes, after which it is closed with a lid and left the next day. In the morning, in the evening and the next morning after the third boiling, the jam is poured into jars. After pouring, I need to wait about five minutes, after which it is customary to turn the jars over so that the hot jam scalds the lids from the inside. (need to wait because if you turn the jar over right away, the pressure in it will jump up sharply and the tightness of the lid will be lost). Then this jam can be stored in the cellar for a very long time, at least three years.
In other matters, given the amount of sugar, this jam sometimes does not even have to be closed, sometimes it is simply poured into jars and covered with paper tied with a string or elastic band. True, then storing it for more than a year is not very good.
I also have jars with American-style lids in my collection, but my lids have been used many times and are no longer airtight. and new ones are not very easy to buy here, in addition, they are much more expensive than local ones. Therefore, I use those jars on which the lids are easier to get)
The rag spread on the table is not a tablecloth, it seems to be my old T-shirt ))) I usually wash my old clothes and use them to line jars at work.

Back
Top Bottom