Odd Coturnix Quail questions

Dandichook

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
North Florida
Odd question, but approximately how big are your average coturnix eggs? Looking for length and width, for jumbo birds preferably.

I can find plenty info on weight, but can't find dimensional measurements online. Lol. I understand this is strange, but we want to use rolling style turners rather than tilt turners.

We're going to try building an incubator and I want to make sure my automatic egg turner is the right size to accommodate. (Preferably before our first fertile eggs arrive!) Thank you!!

I might occasionally post other questions about coturnix on this thread if that's allowed, to avoid cluttering the forum. I do try to research things as I go, but can't always find answers to my (frequently dumb, I know!) questions.

Odd question, but approximately how big are your average coturnix eggs? Looking for length and width, for jumbo birds preferably.

I can find plenty info on weight, but can't find dimensional measurements online. Lol. I understand this is strange, but we want to use rolling style turners rather than tilt turners.

We're going to try building an incubator and I want to make sure my automatic egg turner is the right size to accommodate. (Preferably before our first fertile eggs arrive!) Thank you!!

I might occasionally post other questions about coturnix on this thread if that's allowed, to avoid cluttering the forum. I do try to research things as I go, but can't always find answers to my (frequently dumb, I know!) questions.
@Kiki has quails. I did too, but I never measured. Maybe she did.

Unfortunately I miss the word jumbo a above.

These are not from a jumbo bird but they are a good sized egg.
I weighed three.
Looks like they're just over an inch long and they're about 3 and 1/2 in around the fattest part.
PXL_20220204_215741893.jpg
PXL_20220204_215759530.jpg
PXL_20220204_215723876.jpg
PXL_20220204_215834336.jpg
PXL_20220204_215911582.jpg

16440121477061156932423224601895.jpg
16440122005714968946709074841745.jpg

I'd say they're about an inch thick and about an inch long actually I call it an inch and a quarter long and an inch thick..

Unfortunately I miss the word jumbo a above.

These are not from a jumbo bird but they are a good sized egg.
I weighed three.
Looks like they're just over an inch long and they're about 3 and 1/2 in around the fattest part.
View attachment 2983688View attachment 2983689View attachment 2983690View attachment 2983691View attachment 2983692
Awesome, that's amazing!! I think that info will work perfectly, those eggs are pretty big at 13g! I'll just add a little extra for a safe margin of error and this will be perfect to plan the turner dimensions.

Thank you so much!!!

If you don't mind waiting a couple of days I do have jumbo eggs being shipped out to me tomorrow.
As soon as they arrive and before I put them in my incubator I can measure them for you.

I have a feeling my 13 g egg is going to be pretty close to the same size as the jumbo eggs that are coming though.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of days I do have jumbo eggs being shipped out to me tomorrow.
As soon as they arrive and before I put them in my incubator I can measure them for you.

I have a feeling my 13 g egg is going to be pretty close to the same size as the jumbo eggs that are coming though.
We won't be ready to actually build the incubator for a couple weeks yet as we're in the middle of a move right now. But I would be very grateful if you don't mind measuring them! I suspect you're right that they'll be comparable in size though.

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom