Not swapping yet. I'm looking for opinions and advice on swapping in my area.

I'm not in the kill zone, thankfully. I'm thinking I'm going to butcher the chicks when they reach the right size and freeze the caracasses to eat later. I'd prefer not to because I have some rare breeds like crevecouers and svart honas, but I don't think it's worth trying to get a permit to rehome the excess chicks. All things considered, I may be able to spare most of the females, though, because I'm going to start freeranging.

Thank you for your help!

Don't freerange if you're gonna keep 'em, put 'em in a roofed run like CDFA says to do. If they come with a kill order, it comes with an appeal where the only thing you can argue is your biosec. It has sometimes worked. Yeah, I know Annette Jones is freeranging her 3,000 hen operation for Sac/Davis farmers markets. She has freely advertised this on the Internet. She's not following the CDFA Avian Health guidelines in the calendar set up by her agency that CDFA expects other Californians, esp in the zone, to follow.

Don't freerange if you're gonna keep 'em, put 'em in a roofed run like CDFA says to do. If they come with a kill order, it comes with an appeal where the only thing you can argue is your biosec. It has sometimes worked. Yeah, I know Annette Jones is freeranging her 3,000 hen operation for Sac/Davis farmers markets. She has freely advertised this on the Internet. She's not following the CDFA Avian Health guidelines in the calendar set up by her agency that CDFA expects other Californians, esp in the zone, to follow.

I really don't know much about Annette Jones. Do you think if I actually follow the guidelines, and they come by to serve me papers, I'll still be able to appeal? I've been hearing they've been doing things like arrive a full week before an agreed upon euthanization date and destroy flocks without owners present. I mean, what good is it going to do me to follow rules they aren't following themselves? I can keep my birds to myself, and I won't rehome them, but I feel like keeping them 100% penned up is a little too much to ask. I was even reading wild birds can carry Newcastle, but what's even being done about that? My birds aren't in a completely airtight coop, and I've caught small birds and chipmunks in the run a few times. I don't really see the difference between giving them access to the rest of my property or not. Hell, what am I supposed to do with the dust and feathers that make their way outside of the coop? Am I supposed to sterilize my entire body, clothes, and shoes before I leave my property (because VND can be carried on your clothes and skin)? And I know I'm being controversial here, but this whole thing just does not add up to me.

Edit: I'll probably build a second run and coop and keep them confined for now :/ I'll be moving next year anyways, so I can probably free range depending on where I end up going.

Last edited:
What happens if a bird not in a kill zone tests positive? Isn't that how this whole thing started: someone took their bird to a vet and it tested positive?

The only bit of information on how is started is that the virus came from fighting cocks from Mexico. Any other information would actually be interesting.

I also don't know exactly why they're not doing mandatory vaccinations rather than euthanasia as there is a vaccine available. The only problem with it is that it's "leaky", meaning a vaccinated chicken can still be contagious, but so is Merrick's, which also kills birds.

Back
Top Bottom