Nobody knows which of these is a rooster for sure.

well then, shows how little I know!
Hen/Roo game has a lot of rules. There are certain traits that cockerels will have at prepubescent ages that pullets are less likely to have (large red combs and wattles, namely), and there are certain colorations that only females can have that males never ever will (look up silver duckwing pullet and cockerel and wheaten pullet and cockerel for some examples). By 10ish weeks, you should start to see sex-specific colorations -- males of Teddy's coloration will have dark, glossy feathers on their shoulders, back, and tail. Pullets will be uniform across their body. Males will begin to grow in their long pointed saddle feathers, which on a chicken of Teddy's coloring will also be dark and glossy compared to the lighter brown of the body.

Your OE look to be pullets. The GLW has a suspiciously red comb for only 7 weeks, but that isn't a dead giveaway unless it really pops and gets bright in the next couple of weeks. I'm leaning cockerel but it isn't a done deal. I can't tell on the SLW. Assume it's a pullet until it either crows or lays an egg.

Hen/Roo game has a lot of rules. There are certain traits that cockerels will have at prepubescent ages that pullets are less likely to have (large red combs and wattles, namely), and there are certain colorations that only females can have that males never ever will (look up silver duckwing pullet and cockerel and wheaten pullet and cockerel for some examples). By 10ish weeks, you should start to see sex-specific colorations -- males of Teddy's coloration will have dark, glossy feathers on their shoulders, back, and tail. Pullets will be uniform across their body. Males will begin to grow in their long pointed saddle feathers, which on a chicken of Teddy's coloring will also be dark and glossy compared to the lighter brown of the body.
Okay, I will investigate more to be sure but I haven't noticed any extra glossy feathers on any of them except Teddy's neck feathers. My pics don't really capture it, but she/he does have long, glossy feathers around neck/shoulders.

Your OE look to be pullets. The GLW has a suspiciously red comb for only 7 weeks, but that isn't a dead giveaway unless it really pops and gets bright in the next couple of weeks. I'm leaning cockerel but it isn't a done deal. I can't tell on the SLW. Assume it's a pullet until it either crows or lays an egg.
Okay great! Yes, one of the W definitely has a much brighter comb than the other one. Lol I feel so impatient now... I just want to know! But I can wait 😊 it's my first time and I'm just loving it. Can't help but be anxious to know.

They would be a dark, mahogany red. Her coloration is female. The color black in chickens should be glossy and green in the light on a healthy bird, regardless of sex.

They would be a dark, mahogany red. Her coloration is female. The color black in chickens should be glossy and green in the light on a healthy bird, regardless of sex.
Yes, they all are developing some green, I noticed. That's nice to read.
Thank you for all the info!

This is the kind of dark and glossy I mean. See the "cape" of dark red feathers? You should be starting to see those on Teddy's wings if she was a boy.

1000014375.jpg

Earlier some things were listed as roo behavior. Pullets can act that way as well. If no cockeral is in the group, pullets are more likely to do those behaviors. Did you purchase "pullets" or straight run(mixed gender) chicks?

Back
Top Bottom