No chick crumble available

OKhobbit

Chirping
Apr 1, 2022
Ketchum, OK
Hello all, I live in rural OK and our local farm and ranch stores have had trouble the last few weeks getting chick starter food. When I got our two Rhode Island Red pullets there I got two bags. I knew the last 10 days or so that I was running low, returned to the store to get more and the shelves were empty. I ordered five bags (all they would let me order) on Amazon. Supposed to be here today and did not show. I have two hungry girls and am new to raising chickens. Help! What can I feed them to tie them over? They are about five weeks old now and jumping up on their brood box ledge. Your advice is very much appreciated!

Hello all, I live in rural OK and our local farm and ranch stores have had trouble the last few weeks getting chick starter food. When I got our two Rhode Island Red pullets there I got two bags. I knew the last 10 days or so that I was running low, returned to the store to get more and the shelves were empty. I ordered five bags (all they would let me order) on Amazon. Supposed to be here today and did not show. I have two hungry girls and am new to raising chickens. Help! What can I feed them to tie them over? They are about five weeks old now and jumping up on their brood box ledge. Your advice is very much appreciated!
Hi, welcome to BYC!

Does your feed store carry flock raiser / all flock?

Possible things from the feed store:
Chick starter
Grower
All-flock or Flock Raiser food
Meat bird starter, or Meat bird grower
Game Bird Starter
Turkey starter (unmedicated is fine, I'm not sure whether medicated would be or not.)
Duck starter

Any of those is close enough to a complete feed that they can eat it for weeks at a stretch if needed.

Do not feed them "layer" feed unless they are old enough to lay eggs, because the high calcium level is bad for growing chicks.

If you cannot get any of those feeds, for a few days you can give them a selection of people-food and foods meant for other animals. Try to provide some protein, some starches/grains, and some fruits & vegetables. Make sure they have access to grit (small rocks) to help them grind & digest the food. Always provide plenty of water, and try to avoid large amounts of fat or salt in what you offer them. Give them a variety, and let them pick through to eat the parts they want (some will get wasted.)

Protein possibilities: eggs, meat, fish, bugs, worms, cheese, yoghurt, milk, cooked beans/lentils/chickpeas, cat food, fish food, dog food

Grain/starch possibilities: scratch grains, birdseed, any whole grains (raw or cooked: corn, rice, oats, wheat, etc), bread/crackers/cereal (whole grain is better than white or refined or sugary stuff), cooked potatoes

Fruit and vegetable possibilities: almost anything that is safe for people, plus grass, dandelion, and various other wild things. (Some plants are poisonous, so look up any particular plant if you are unsure.)

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC!

Does your feed store carry flock raiser / all flock?
Thank you for the welcome! I guess I'm panicking a bit since I really care about these chicks. Yes they carry flock feed. I'm not sure about the nutrition and changing their diet so young. Will the flock feed be okay for short term and then go back to the chick crumble?

I guess I'm panicking a bit since I really care about these chicks. Yes they carry flock feed. I'm not sure about the nutrition and changing their diet so young. Will the flock feed be okay for short term and then go back to the chick crumble?
Changing feeds should be fine.

Most chicken feeds are based on the same list of ingredients, just in slightly different amounts, so going from one to another is not a big deal.

Possible things from the feed store:
Chick starter
Grower
All-flock or Flock Raiser food
Meat bird starter, or Meat bird grower
Game Bird Starter
Turkey starter (unmedicated is fine, I'm not sure whether medicated would be or not.)
Duck starter

Any of those is close enough to a complete feed that they can eat it for weeks at a stretch if needed.

Do not feed them "layer" feed unless they are old enough to lay eggs, because the high calcium level is bad for growing chicks.

If you cannot get any of those feeds, for a few days you can give them a selection of people-food and foods meant for other animals. Try to provide some protein, some starches/grains, and some fruits & vegetables. Make sure they have access to grit (small rocks) to help them grind & digest the food. Always provide plenty of water, and try to avoid large amounts of fat or salt in what you offer them. Give them a variety, and let them pick through to eat the parts the want (some will get wasted.)

Protein possibilities: eggs, meat, fish, bugs, worms, cheese, yoghurt, milk, cooked beans/lentils/chickpeas, cat food, fish food, dog food

Grain/starch possibilities: scratch grains, birdseed, any whole grains (raw or cooked: corn, rice, oats, wheat, etc), bread/crackers/cereal (whole grain is better than white or refined or sugary stuff), cooked potatoes

Fruit and vegetable possibilities: almost anything that is safe for people, plus grass, dandelion, and various other wild things. (Some plants are poisonous, so look up any particular plant if you are unsure.)
Thank you so much! This is wonderful info and I now know they will not starve! I love this site and will probably need help again. Again, thank you.

Hello, welcome to BYC.
I feed my entire flock grower feed. I never switch as they age, I just give them calcium (oyster shell) and grit on the side. @NatJ has given you great advice on alternative food. I'd add fresh cooked fish without seasoning, to the list for protein.
Thank you Janiedoe. Didn't think about fish, but we live on a lake so perfect advice! Thank you again. I'm feeling better now!

Back
Top Bottom