Nice Chicken Story on CNN, worth the Read

BaaKaaawk

Coopster
13 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Lexington, KY
As a long-time chickener, I took some joy in reading this article- mainly about someone else taking joy in their first round of raising chickens. A lot of their observations were spot on- and some I may have to argue (she says her chickens know their names... not mine!). But regardless, a nice read in a tough time - and a reminder that we should all be thankful for our little feathered friends and the joy they bring us! (Except of course when they're tearing up my new mulch I just put down... well... maybe even then.)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/opinions/covid-19-quarantine-chickens-taylor-opinion/index.html

As a long-time chickener, I took some joy in reading this article- mainly about someone else taking joy in their first round of raising chickens. A lot of their observations were spot on- and some I may have to argue (she says her chickens know their names... not mine!). But regardless, a nice read in a tough time - and a reminder that we should all be thankful for our little feathered friends and the joy they bring us! (Except of course when they're tearing up my new mulch I just put down... well... maybe even then.)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/opinions/covid-19-quarantine-chickens-taylor-opinion/index.html

I never really named my birds because I didn't think they would learn their names or care (mine are pets, I just don't name animals that don't respond).

Then I read a study that said not only do they learn their own names (if you use them regularly) but they learn the names of other flock members.

I never really named my birds because I didn't think they would learn their names or care (mine are pets, I just don't name animals that don't respond).

Then I read a study that said not only do they learn their own names (if you use them regularly) but they learn the names of other flock members.
Mine come when called almost every time.

Thank you for sharing! I found this quote to really resonate with me:

"Here is another discovery: It is very easy to be sad in the world now, but it is hard to be sad at the exact same moment you are watching chickens."

My little chicks (well, they aren't so little anymore they awkward teens now lol) bring me so much peace and joy. 🐔 :love

Last edited:
You know- this is such a great thread because it shows me no matter how much we THINK we know, there's always something new to learn. All my chickens have names- but I have a lot of chickens (30ish) so I never really tried to call them by name. To know that they could be called by name and actually respond is a wonderful new twist for me on chickening!

I have a great story about Clarabelle, one of my EE hens. I'm outside doing chores and chatting to my flock and Clarabelle starts wondering a little farther away. I'm watching her out of the corner of my eye, Clarabelle is definitely the EE that always gets into things :)
She starts walking down the long driveway that leads to the highway. I say "Clarabelle! Clarabelle?!?" She stops but won't look at me (kind of like when a kids plays hide-and-seek by covering their eyes, it makes them invisible). "I can still see you, come back here." She turns only her head to look at me. Then goes to take another step when I say "Clarabelle, get back here!" I was partially laughing because she still had her leg raised to take that step and froze when I told her to get back here. She then turns to head back to me :lau

I have a great story about Clarabelle, one of my EE hens. I'm outside doing chores and chatting to my flock and Clarabelle starts wondering a little farther away. I'm watching her out of the corner of my eye, Clarabelle is definitely the EE that always gets into things :)
She starts walking down the long driveway that leads to the highway. I say "Clarabelle! Clarabelle?!?" She stops but won't look at me (kind of like when a kids plays hide-and-seek by covering their eyes, it makes them invisible). "I can still see you, come back here." She turns only her head to look at me. Then goes to take another step when I say "Clarabelle, get back here!" I was partially laughing because she still had her leg raised to take that step and froze when I told her to get back here. She then turns to head back to me :lau
I just picture those willow green legs and crack up!😂

Back
Top Bottom