newspaper as chick bedding?

I've heard that newspaper isn't good as chick bedding. But what about shredded newspaper? I used it last year and it seemed fine but I don't know if it had any negative effects on my chicks.

Newspaper is slippery and can cause leg injuries. I would worry at least for the first week about the chicks eating shredded paper. Use some old bath towels folded up so its soft for them. Easy to wash and re use. I even cheat and turn the towel over so I can get two days out of one towel.
smile.png

Newspaper is slippery and can cause leg injuries. I would worry at least for the first week about the chicks eating shredded paper. Use some old bath towels folded up so its soft for them. Easy to wash and re use. I even cheat and turn the towel over so I can get two days out of one towel.
smile.png

So you're saying that shredded paper will give them injuries too?

Most people I know put wood shavings over a layer of newspaper but I used thick layers of newspaper (so it's harder to slip) + some cloth for mine when they were young and switched to just cloth when they got old enough to shred the paper. Shredding the newspaper for them might entice them to eat it.

Last edited:
So you're saying that shredded paper will give them injuries too?

little chicks are curious and explore with their beaks. They are not sure at first what is food and what is not. They may eat shredded paper and that is not good. Towels for the first week and pine shavings after that is my preferred way. As long as food is there 24/7 they will eat very little of the shavings before deciding "yuck, that's not food!"
smile.png

little chicks are curious and explore with their beaks. They are not sure at first what is food and what is not. They may eat shredded paper and that is not good. Towels for the first week and pine shavings after that is my preferred way. As long as food is there 24/7 they will eat very little of the shavings before deciding "yuck, that's not food!"
smile.png

I put rags (old sheets) over the newspaper. Will that be slippery? And in the box that the chicks were put in at the store had pine shavings and they were feasting on them.

I put rags (old sheets) over the newspaper. Will that be slippery? And in the box that the chicks were put in at the store had pine shavings and they were feasting on them.

Ya, they are hungry little things :) Old sheets will be ok, just cut off long loose strings or they'll try to eat those too!
smile.png

I used a beach towel for he first week till they started making too much mess then switched to the large flake bedding the TSC sells. Put about 3 inches in the brooder and stirred it daily. Don't remember how long it took before I had to change it but it was a while. Entire package lasted till the went outside to the coop. Of course the size of your brooder and number of chicks will determine the time frame. They pick up anything in the brooder and taste it but the large flakes are too big for them to eat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom