Newly bought 6 wk Chick with major butt hole issues!

farmlady2021

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
I haven’t taken any pictures but if you all want/need some then I can do that! I bought two Polish pullets on Tuesday that are supposed to be 8week old runts. The person told me the only thing wrong with them was that they were growing slow so I didn’t mind growing them up. I get them home and noticed all of ones head feathers had started growing back from being plucked by other chickens and the others whole bottom had been plucked as well.

She hadn’t mentioned this but I saw they had sprayed blue medicine on it and I noticed when it pooped it squealed like in pain. I messaged them about it and they said yes they sprayed that to stop the other chicks plucking.Anyways, Her poor butthole looked red and raw on the inside and I thought maybe it had been pecked at by others 🤷🏽‍♀️.
Now today I’ve seen blood actively come out of her butthole and also when I doctor it (3x-4x a day) the inside kind of comes out but goes back in on its own. I have been spraying this spray on it (it helped my other chicks infected wing heal up perfect) and I’ve been putting Neosporin on/in it’s butthole for lubricant for comfort and in hopes it will heal it. What else can I do and what could cause this? She is walking so much better than she was Tuesday! I’m just worried she is sick (the two polish are quarantined).

I know they are “just” chickens to some but ours are babies to us. These poor chicks had never seen grass or any food besides chick starter and clover. They didn’t even know what to do with corn on cob or any fruit/veggies 😢

Attachments

• DBE3C3A9-2679-494B-93BE-7B6D2EBAC3A0.jpeg
    DBE3C3A9-2679-494B-93BE-7B6D2EBAC3A0.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 665B4D64-880E-4ABA-BDE5-46CBAB79FAD2.jpeg
    665B4D64-880E-4ABA-BDE5-46CBAB79FAD2.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 10
  • B5240973-B1A5-4F7B-8F48-6127276D06D5.jpeg
    B5240973-B1A5-4F7B-8F48-6127276D06D5.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I haven’t taken any pictures but if you all want/need some then I can do that! I bought two Polish pullets on Tuesday that are supposed to be 8week old runts. The person told me the only thing wrong with them was that they were growing slow so I didn’t mind growing them up. I get them home and noticed all of ones head feathers had started growing back from being plucked by other chickens and the others whole bottom had been plucked as well.

She hadn’t mentioned this but I saw they had sprayed blue medicine on it and I noticed when it pooped it squealed like in pain. I messaged them about it and they said yes they sprayed that to stop the other chicks plucking.Anyways, Her poor butthole looked red and raw on the inside and I thought maybe it had been pecked at by others 🤷🏽‍♀️.
Now today I’ve seen blood actively come out of her butthole and also when I doctor it (3x-4x a day) the inside kind of comes out but goes back in on its own. I have been spraying this spray on it (it helped my other chicks infected wing heal up perfect) and I’ve been putting Neosporin on/in it’s butthole for lubricant for comfort and in hopes it will heal it. What else can I do and what could cause this? She is walking so much better than she was Tuesday! I’m just worried she is sick (the two polish are quarantined).

I know they are “just” chickens to some but ours are babies to us. These poor chicks had never seen grass or any food besides chick starter and clover. They didn’t even know what to do with corn on cob or any fruit/veggies 😢
This happened to me before!!!! Quickly seperate her...is the neosporin your using NOT medicated

Once you see blood in a chick it is NOT good! Ours sadly died cause back then we did not notice fast enough
This happened to me before!!!! Quickly seperate her...is the neosporin your using NOT medicated
I will have to check tomorrow on the Neosporin but I know it’s a antibiotic cream anyways. When I bought her she was already in this shape and I did not know it until I got her and the others to my house. She is currently with the other polish chick I got with her who was pecked on the head. They are in my garage in a fenced area firstly because they are so tiny they hop right through our chain link fence around our coop, and secondly because her butt is in such a bad shape! How can I help her? What’s causing her butthole to do this on the inside?

I will have to check tomorrow on the Neosporin but I know it’s a antibiotic cream anyways. When I bought her she was already in this shape and I did not know it until I got her and the others to my house. She is currently with the other polish chick I got with her who was pecked on the head. They are in my garage in a fenced area firstly because they are so tiny they hop right through our chain link fence around our coop, and secondly because her butt is in such a bad shape! How can I help her? What’s causing her butthole to do this on the inside?
For me, I don’t know about you cause there are not yet pictures, but for me it was getting bullied. Often chickens peck red. This making a bleeding chick bleed more

Back
Top Bottom