Newb questions about fertility, etc.

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
I bought expensive eggs for the first time and travelled about an hour from where I live to pick them up.

Day 5 candelling is showing only half of them are developing and the other half are clear. I contacted the seller and he is willing to replace some, which is very kind of him.

Since I've never had this issue previously, I'm just wondering from others experiences:
Are these eggs likely infertile?
Are they possibly old?
Freezing is still a possibility this time of year as well.
Should the seller feel obligated to replace them or is this just a kind courtesy?

I've sold a few hatching eggs as well, and I've had buyers contact me to tell me all eggs were fertile, but never a complaint. I would probably replace them if someone did.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It sounds as if they are most likely infertile. Most breeders will not sell 'old' eggs. They may have been chilled or the rooster's fertility/activity may be down because of the time of year. In my mind hatchability can never be guaranteed. It is good business on the part of the breeder to replace the non developing eggs. Good luck for a successful hatch.

Thanks for the reply!

Update:
He met me halfway so I didn't have to drive the whole way, and he gave me 4 new eggs.
( One of them had a crack in the air cell, which I repaired.)
Hope they're successful.

Back
Top Bottom