New York Dressed chicken

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
There's a local butcher who processes chickens "New York style". Basically he slits the throat, plucks the feathers, and that's it. It costs $5 per bird.

If I have some young cockerels butchered this way, what should I do when I bring them home? Can I throw them in the freezer like that, or do I need to pull the guts ASAP? Anything else to remove before freezing (tail, head)? I plan to cook them in an instant pot when it's time to eat, but not sure what steps to take in between.

From a safety aspect you could freeze them immediately as long as they are cooled enough to greatly reduce bacteria growing. The temperature I've seen quoted is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Hanging game without gutting it is something some people do. Hanging pheasant is a tradition in Scotland but that's not the only place or the only game that gets hung. Hanging affects the flavor, some people like that and some don't. I don't know how fast the inside of the bird needs to be cooled but like the hunters do, I'd want the process to start quickly. Another potential problem is that if you stack the carcasses in the freezer it can take a long time for the birds in the middle to freeze so spread them out and pre-cool them so they are not dangerously warm. Hung game may or may not be frozen.

To get around rigor mortis you could age them before you freeze them. You can age them after they thaw but just like thawing any other meat you would need to thaw in the fridge to keep them cool. Could take a while.

My preference would be to gut them before you freeze them. That would remove any doubt. If you are cooking it in an instant pot you probably want it cut into serving pieces. For convenience sake I'd reduce the carcass to serving pieces before freezing so they can go straight into the instant pot as soon as you thawed them. I'd age them too before freezing but probably after parting them. You don't have to remove the head, internal organs, crop and such before you freeze but to me it would be cleaner and simpler. And they would take up less freezer space.

My suggestion is to talk to the butcher and see what they suggest. And maybe ask them why. I'd enjoy hearing what they have to say.

My suggestion is to talk to the butcher and see what they suggest. And maybe ask them why. I'd enjoy hearing what they have to say.
They hardly pick up the phone so I haven't been able to ask :( I know they can't gut because the USDA will not allow them to dispose of offal. I am not sure if this is only in California or everywhere, that you need a special license to remove guts.

I guess I should chop them up before freezing. A stiff stretched out chicken takes up too much freezer space, and my roommate will be grossed out if I hang them in the garage or fridge. When you say "I'd age them before freezing but after parting" does that mean just let the meat rest in the fridge for a day?

@3KillerBs A whole rotisserie chicken is only $5 at Costco, so I don't know if there is any price that would be cheap enough for butchering a skinny cockerel. I guess it's more like I'm trying not to waste a chicken.

"I'd age them before freezing but after parting" does that mean just let the meat rest in the fridge for a day?
A day, maybe longer. Until the meat is no longer firm but is loose or, if you have any joints, until they move freely. Sometimes a day is enough but it can take longer. How long will they be at the butchers after killing? That plus a day at your place might be enough.

@3KillerBs A whole rotisserie chicken is only $5 at Costco, so I don't know if there is any price that would be cheap enough for butchering a skinny cockerel. I guess it's more like I'm trying not to waste a chicken.
If you're going to have to gut and piece them out anyway, I would just do a quick and easy no gutting or plucking harvesting of the breasts and legs at home, and save that $5 ea.

If you're going to have to gut and piece them out anyway, I would just do a quick and easy no gutting or plucking harvesting of the breasts and legs at home, and save that $5 ea.
Yeah, I might just do that instead. some of them have black skin, which I have never tried before, but Costco sells those too

Back
Top Bottom