Butchering chickens debate

Here is my personal perspective and personal problem......

Growing our own chickens for food or to sell makes no economic sense. When it comes time to butcher or sell we have already spent more for feed than the bird is worth. The effort that goes into processing or selling only compounds the problem. Butchering is nothing more than a failed attempt to justify keeping chickens.

The truth of the matter is, I like breeding chickens, hatching chickens, keeping chickens and building chicken pens. I wish they didn't live so long so I could bring on some new ones. I wish I could just knock them in the head and put them in the dumpster so I can bring on some new ones. I wish I could break this addiction and move on to another hobby. Woe is me.
I get it. Yes, I understand your pain intimately well... 😂 It would be so much CHEAPER, even with the current inflation, to simply buy chicken meat or eggs from the store. No question.

But...

There is a value trade off to me personally which makes it worth the cost and effort.
1. I love my chickens. While they are not ALL named, I do see them as something more than just livestock. The emotional & physical benefits I get from raising them and interacting with them can't be discounted or minimized.
2. Self-sufficiency is an important skill and owning chickens gives me the opportunity to learn. As the world gets crazier, I have been faced with the question of "what if?" I would have NEVER thought the cost of eggs would rise to $5+/dozen. Yet here we are... And while I don't have to pay for eggs, there are dozens of families who can no longer afford them. I donate 10-15 dozen eggs per week to the local food bank. I don't say that to toot my own horn but simply as a consideration that my decision to take the "uneconomical" approach to raise chickens has a collateral impact to others that is measured in something more than dollar value.

Time is the ONE commodity that we cannot reproduce or replenish. I try to be a good steward of my resources and balance that with efficiency and time. There's probably a lot more I can do when processing carcasses. I just don't know how or I'm not good enough at doing it yet.... So I rely on people more experienced like many on this board who can tell me whether it's worth the time and effort or not. I don't mind learning or to keep trying but only if it's actually worth it.

Being of Scottish descent noted for frugality, wearing funny patterned skirts and a propensity for violence, the phrase "waste not, want not" is my equivelant of the Christians favourite psalm.
It seems rather wasetfull not to use all of the chicken I kill. I lick my plate as well.:p
Obviously some people have too much money, or value their time for doing not a lot worthwhile, above the life given by the chicken they've killed.
What can't be easily taken off the bird as meat goes in the stock pot; soup and stock are the result. I used to save the juices from cooking beef to make dripping.
Of course, having been poor and hungry at points in my life food waste is not something I can condone, whether you're Scottish or not.

Being of Scottish descent noted for frugality, wearing funny patterned skirts and a propensity for violence, the phrase "waste not, want not" is my equivelant of the Christians favourite psalm.
It seems rather wasetfull not to use all of the chicken I kill. I lick my plate as well.:p
Obviously some people have too much money, or value their time for doing not a lot worthwhile, above the life given by the chicken they've killed.
What can't be easily taken off the bird as meat goes in the stock pot; soup and stock are the result. I used to save the juices from cooking beef to make dripping.
Of course, having been poor and hungry at points in my life food waste is not something I can condone, whether you're Scottish or not.
Until I got sick in 2020, I was of that thought process.... I wasn't going to hatch chickens last year or this year....birds had other ideas 😂

Until I got sick in 2020, I was of that thought process.... I wasn't going to hatch chickens last year or this year....birds had other ideas 😂
As they often do... I ended up with 20+ chicks last spring because the broodies took advantage of my busy schedule to hide their clutches knowing I wouldn't have time to look for them. That's why I have so many birds to butcher and process this year.... 🙄

I find the canned meat and broth so handy to use that I don't like to waste the meat left on the bones. Yes, it takes some time while I'm canning it, but saves time when I'm preparing supper...especially after a long busy day!
I've thrown full carcasses into the Instant Pot when making stew. I have to admit that picking out a gazillion tiny bones is a bit of a drag. My family members complain a lot about the bones. However processing specifically for the meat and broth (as opposed to soup or stew) is a bit different because I'd purposely be separating meat from bone and systematically picking out bones before canning. Hopefully that would reduce the unpleasant surprises while actually eating dinner.

Here is my personal perspective and personal problem......

Growing our own chickens for food or to sell makes no economic sense. When it comes time to butcher or sell we have already spent more for feed than the bird is worth. The effort that goes into processing or selling only compounds the problem. Butchering is nothing more than a failed attempt to justify keeping chickens.

The truth of the matter is, I like breeding chickens, hatching chickens, keeping chickens and building chicken pens. I wish they didn't live so long so I could bring on some new ones. I wish I could just knock them in the head and put them in the dumpster so I can bring on some new ones. I wish I could break this addiction and move on to another hobby. Woe is me.
economically speaking?
Nope.
But we are looking at quality here.
Even if the bird is small!
BTW, I remember shopping for chicken when the large bird was 3 pounds!
And it was enough to feed 4 people.

Back
Top Bottom