New to peachicks, what to feed?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Today I was given a peachick that someone found. It's acting lively but it feels light to me. It came with game bird starter but the chick didn't seem very interested in eating it. I've added a splash of ACV in the water and scrambled an egg for the chick to eat. It was most interested in eating meal worms, both dried and live.
Can I keep giving more meal worms or is that like feeding it candy? What else could I offer to tempt its appetite? It is now pecking at the feed and the minced egg but its crop doesn't feel full at all. Do peachicks have palpable crops like other chicks?

Medicated chick starter 23% is what we feed. We also make a hand feed mix of hard-boiled egg and starter put through a handi-chopper that they really love.
What brand do you feed? Is that a chicken chick starter or a flock raiser type feed for all birds? What about people that say you should not feed peachicks medicated feed???

What brand do you feed? Is that a chicken chick starter or a flock raiser type feed for all birds? What about people that say you should not feed peachicks medicated feed???
It is a Purina product. Medicated chick starter probably meant for chickens but it is fine for peachicks. People have differing opinions, doesn't make them wrong or right. The important thing is that you realize that the medication in medicated feed does not stop cocci from blooming, my opinion is that the medication is pretty useless but it is all my local mill makes. We give toltrazuril treatments once monthly until winter to kill cocci and keep the chicks on wire floor brooders for the first two or three months. After they go on the dirt it is very important to keep up on cocci and worm treatments.

Back
Top Bottom