New to injuries dont know what to do

Slucente18

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
My curious baby managed to escape the brooder and I have it in the run and my other hens attacked her.

What do I do? I just got a cotton pad and rinsed with water.

I have one darn pullet who likes to get on top of the others and peck their heads šŸ™„

Attachments

• 20220521_160155.jpg
    20220521_160155.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 5
If the bleeding has stopped then you probably don't need to do anything. You can put a bit of plain neosporin on it or plain triple antibiotic ointment if you want to. Once the bleeding is stopped it will scab over, probably look black. As long as the other chicks don't peck at it, seeing blood, it should be ok. Blu kote can sometimes help disguise it if needed. Combs usually heal pretty fast.
It's not uncommon behavior for them to go after new, and unprotected chicks. When it's time to integrate brooder raised chicks I go slowly for gradually lengthening times, and supervise. I've had a couple over the years escape the nursery pen and get hurt also.

When my chicken ripped her comb 75% off, i isolated her and washed it twice a day and added vetericyn plus and neosporin. I didnt use the blue kot in order to see the wound. The blue kot discolors it and because she wasnt with flock, i didnt need to camouflage the wound from anyone. Good luck with the little guy. šŸ“ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 5CB2B5FD-D003-4D1C-BE49-D0E8A920E9FB.jpeg
    5CB2B5FD-D003-4D1C-BE49-D0E8A920E9FB.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom