New to BYC

D-Bar-B

Songster
5 Years
Feb 13, 2019
Texas
Hello! My name is Barbie and my husband's name is Dan. We live in a small community full of ranches and cotton farms...he came up with the name D-Bar-B and he's even thought out what it would look like with a brand. I have ALWAYS wanted some kind of farm animal, and we finally live in a town that allows back yard chickens. I have quickly become a crazy chicken lady and love sharing my girls with my grandson...and blessing people with fresh laid eggs!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, we are fairly new to chickens. I was gifted 6 hens between the ages of 9 - 18 months last October.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 13 now. The original 6 and now 7 chicks that are 3 weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?
The adults are 2 Dominiques, 2 Buff Orpingtons & 2 Rhode Island Reds (and yes, I've named them all). The chicks are 3 Golden-laced Wyandottes, 2 Light Brown Leghorns & 2 Golden Campines (I have names picked but can't tell the chicks apart enough yet).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love going out to them throughout the day and just watching them. I also talk to them and they talk back (hence why hubby calls me crazy chicken lady).

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to sing, read, and spend as much time as possible with my grand babies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I have been married for 29 years. We have 2 children (both married) and 2 grandchildren. We are NOT ranchers or farmers...in fact he's the pastor of one of our local churches. I'm our worship leader, and also work at our Police Department as the administrative assistant to the Chief. We also have a dog who loves the chickens (a little too much so he's not allowed in their area). My husband is also a very handy woodworker and built a bigger coop for me. It's not as elaborate as some I've seen, and we may add to it, but I love that he can build me things! I've added pictures of our original store-bought coop (which is going to house the new chicks until it's time to integrate with the flock) and then our new coop that was built by my amazing hubby. We didn't finish out the interior, and ventilation space at the back for better airflow in our hot summers.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC through google while searching info for getting new chicks.

Attachments

• coop1.jpg
    coop1.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 14
  • coop2.jpg
    coop2.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 8
  • coop3.jpg
    coop3.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 8
  • coop4.jpg
    coop4.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 8
  • coop5.jpg
    coop5.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 8
  • coop6.jpg
    coop6.jpg
    921.4 KB · Views: 8
  • coop7.jpg
    coop7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • coop8.jpg
    coop8.jpg
    910.6 KB · Views: 8
  • coop9.jpg
    coop9.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 8
  • coop10.jpg
    coop10.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 9
  • coop11.jpg
    coop11.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 8
  • coop12.jpg
    coop12.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 8
  • coop13.jpg
    coop13.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Hello Barbie and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom