new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
That book is great. Good animal fat is essential to a healthy mind and body. I go carnivore for a few weeks no and again if I begin to feel down, it always helps pick me back up.
The chooks always share the non chicken meat trimmings I get with the dog. Throw a pile in there and they always eat the fatty bits first I've noticed.
We either trust em to know what's best or we don't I guess.

Morrigan.... I think I will do that with the Kangaroo. Simple and affordable is a big part of the goal.

At your own risk.

We're losing sight of the real issues again. Real food with natural nutrients is better than supplements synthesized in a laboratory.
There have been some recent articles on what are called forever chemicals. just one article I've read and there are plenty more for those who are interested.
What I found interesting was a recent study on vegetables in the USA found high levels of these chemicals in both organic and non organic produce.
Naturally people wondered why and it seems they are in the water used for watering.
Just how big an issue this is remains to be seen. For people the current advice is to steer clear of highly processed foods. For chickens this would include commercial feed.
Just an added issue to think about.

Every few years another crisis! Products that were 'safe', later found to be not so good. Seems like we aren't winning this fight.
We do the best we can, and are happy that our life expectancy is so much better than in the good old days!
Mary
Nature has all the best technology. We just don't understand it.

Part of the issue imo is science very often looks at segments. Looks at things as a machine with parts to be understood as linked or separate processes working to a common goal.
Nature doesn't do that. It operates as an organism, sometimes seemingly just for novelty. There is a vast difference between a machine and an organism. The latter operating innumerable processes simultaneously....all seemingly definitive but also inextricably intertwined and ongoing.... growing and dying constantly in different levels of balance. Totally the same as but also totally unlike a very complex machine at the same time.

We aren't nearly smart enough yet, nor are our computers.

Nature has all the best technology. We just don't understand it.

Part of the issue imo is science very often looks at segments. Looks at things as a machine with parts to be understood as linked or separate processes working to a common goal.
Nature doesn't do that. It operates as an organism, sometimes seemingly just for novelty. There is a vast difference between a machine and an organism. The latter operating innumerable processes simultaneously....all seemingly definitive but also inextricably intertwined and ongoing.... growing and dying constantly in different levels of balance. Totally the same as but also totally unlike a very complex machine at the same time.

We aren't nearly smart enough yet, nor are our computers.
Quantum computing will be of enormous benefit to AI. It's important we get AI right before quantum comes in. Not much point in super-charging something that doesn't work very well.

Apologies for going off topic.

IMG_2023-07-01-08-36-34-571.jpg

There have been some recent articles on what are called forever chemicals.
Michigan has a lot of those. In the water, in the soil. The latest is PFAS. I have not had my water tested. I have a reverse osmosis filter for drinking water. If my water is contaminated and an RO filter doesn't remove it -- or other forever chemicals -- I've been drinking it/them for 29 years.

I'm doing the best I can, where I am, with what I have. One thing I do know: I'm staying here.

Every few years another crisis! Products that were 'safe', later found to be not so good. Seems like we aren't winning this fight.
We do the best we can, and are happy that our life expectancy is so much better than in the good old days!
Mary
you are aware it's in decline, yes?
https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/us-lif...-arent-other-countries-suffering-same-problem
and
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/jul/03/us-maternal-deaths-doubled-two-decades

Last edited:
Purina started researching dog nutrition and introduced it's first dog food in the 1920's. When I was a teenager in the 1960's nobody used homemade dog food. But, the norm was canned dog food instead of kibble.
I think it’s all very interesting and we can ponder til the cows come home! I think we fed our dog canned food too because it was so cheap in the late seventies/early eighties when I was a kid. It would be fun to see the history of commercial animal food in a snapshot sort of way over the decades.

Back
Top Bottom