new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
Physical activity matters! We can't change our ancestry, but we can move more and eat better...
Absolutely!

Sort of related... I'd read that from eat to excrete take 24-72 hours for humans. Well, I'm very sure I'm on the short end of that timeline. I wonder if that makes a difference? Do I absorb fewer nutrients, or is my system more efficient?

Absolutely!

Sort of related... I'd read that from eat to excrete take 24-72 hours for humans. Well, I'm very sure I'm on the short end of that timeline. I wonder if that makes a difference? Do I absorb fewer nutrients, or is my system more efficient?
Spector's team devised a cheap and fun 'blue poop challenge' that apparently works better than the traditional stool test; the recipe to make blue muffins at home and test yourself is on the website linked below. "The shorter the transit time the healthier the gut microbiome, and the longer, the worse... generally, around 24 hours was healthy."
https://joinzoe.com/bluepoop

They are on the opposite extremes of the range people are but we thought maybe this concept that people can be so different is why so many fad diets have a similar pattern - an extreme diet works so wonderfully for a few that it is touted as a miracle concept. Then many try and it doesn't work for a lot of them.

Yep.

Low carb works very well for me and my cholesterol is excellent on that regime. Not so well for people whose bodies treat fats differently than mine.

The digestive system is our second brain.
It's also heavily involved in our immune systems. "Although I was taught that our main immune organs were in our lymph nodes, spleen or bone marrow, it turns out the biggest immune organ is in our gut - lining most of the small and large intestine, covering an immense surface area of over 25 square metres" Spector p.43.

I don't think there is much food to be found in nature that is as addictive as the stuff humans have invented. Sure, animals can be addicted to sugar, but corn can't be compared to ice cream.
And animals are not submitted to commercials. So I think obesity in humans is as much a sociological problem as a health issue.
As a fat American, sociological problems do contribute, but commercials are the tip of the iceberg. Personally I don't even get exposed to food commercials (no TV and aggressive ad blockers) however time and energy are major contributors to turning to UPF.
Anecdotally none of my pets eat to obesity despite having 24/7 access to foods, chickens included.

Back
Top Bottom