new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
Well, according to her, when they have it available all the time, it isn't special anymore so they only eat what they need. I know our goats certainly prefer what they can't have, merely because they can't, so it does make some sense.
In theory yes I agree with this thought. Curious any wethers in herd? I have two. Would worry about them with grain.

I remember reading about orange juice. Why is it that no two oranges seem to taste exactly the same ... Yet, day after day, month after month, any given brand of orange juice tastes exactly the same and they only have 100% orange juice in them?

Answer (paraphrased) extracted elements of orange juice can be re-introduced back into orange juice in various amounts to ensure that they final product has the desired taste.

The point ... even something with just 1 ingredient can be more processed than is apparent at face value.
Right, I was thinking more along these lines-

Every year in the fall we cook up enough spaghetti sauce to last us until next year. It has a lot of ingredients tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme and parsley. We grow everything here, herbs too, except the mushrooms. No salt or sugar added because we freeze instead of can. So processed, 10+ ingredients, does not resemble original forms, but still I believe very healthy.

Right, I was thinking more along these lines-

Every year in the fall we cook up enough spaghetti sauce to last us until next year. It has a lot of ingredients tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme and parsley. We grow everything here, herbs too, except the mushrooms. No salt or sugar added because we freeze instead of can. So processed, 10+ ingredients, does not resemble original forms, but still I believe very healthy.
All of the sudden, I'm feeling very hungry.

Do you plant a late crop of zucchini ... or are yours still going that late into the season?

@Perris what do you feed your chickens, if you don't mind my asking?

On the topic of goats over eating, we had a neighbor that free-fed grain to her goat herd, as in they had full bowls of grain available to them 24/7, and they never over ate. I had never seen anyone do that before.
I have seen that done ONE time with horses. Her horses were fat but other than that healthy. They would walk away from the grain. I have a horse that has broken into grain bins, eaten a fair amount then walked away with no issues (thank you Lord!) several times. But she is a hard keeper. I could probably do that with her but I don’t want to risk it. She is too valuable to me.

The quick, voice to text, answer is that you seem to be thinking of all ingredients as if they were the same. Green growing things generally are not nutrient dense, particularly in protein. That's why grazing animals need to eat a lot of them. But even within green growing things, the nutrition is not evenly distributed. Most of the nutrition in a plant is concentrated in the next generation. That's that's why our feed and feeds for many grazers are generally made with seeds and Grains, not the stems and leaves. Grass clippings are basically high fiber High bulk low nutrition ingredient. Fine for goats and cows and other ruminants. Not nearly so useful for chickens. Completely different digestive system. And that's before getting into discussion of how not all proteins are the same, particularly plant proteins. Ask any healthy vegetarian you might know.
I'm interested in this grass business.
There is a problem in all these discussions about feed and that they are concentrated on the chemicals we know are needed to keep a hen alive and laying eggs.

Chickens are not grazing creatures but they eat grass. They don't just eat grass because there isn't anything else. I've been watching the allotment lot (chickens) and while I'm there there is plenty of commercial feed, very good forage in the way of bugs and vegitation, not to mention the supplements I take them.
When I feel their crops about half an hour before roost time they are pretty close to maximum capacity. I feel a lot of crops. But, given the opportunity they will make sure they eat grass before going to roost. All of them do it.

I suggest that there are chemicals other than those we've established that support life that the chickens feel they need.
They make a similar choice when presented with free choice calcium.

One of the great advantages of the chicken for farmers, households, smallholdings, etc has been and still is in many parts of the world, is they have an incredible ability to adapt to their environment andfind what they need. This is probably the main reason they've thrived; they're omniverous and given the freedom they can make food choices and reproduce, and lay eggs.

I've been looking after primarily spent Ex Battery hens for the past eighteen months. You would not believe the crap they got fed. Those that could still lay eggs laid every day. They didn't look well, but they still laid.

So maybe the assumption that modern breeds require modern diets isn't as clear cut as it seems.

Back
Top Bottom