new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
I was unaware of this trick. Thank you for sharing. I don't know nearly as much about my goats as I probably should, though they are fed largely on browse from my Acres which should help reduce risk. I keep mineral around for them all the time, because we have low copper available otherwise. But I only feed them once daily in limited quantity.
You’re welcome! It sounds like you are doing good by them. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury anymore to let mine browse so I must supplement with differing types of hay, and grain. I have dairy goats who typically require a bit more maintenance than meat goats and brush goats. What kind do you have?

Last edited:
You’re welcome! It sounds like you are doing good by them. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury anymore to let mine browse so I must supplement with differing types of hay, and grain. I have dairy goats who typically require a bit more maintenance than meat goats and brush goats. What kind do you have?
Scrub. ;) and mutts at that. They are tiny (as these things are measured) meat goats. NOT Pigmy (though there may be some pigmy in them) but my boys weigh 85-110#. Its a grat size for my wife and I. One of them going to freezer camp is all the goat we want for 3-4 months.

We unfortunately lost two goats to bloat over the years. One managed to get into the steer's field and gorged itself on all stock and another found a bucket of apples someone accidentally left in the barn. :(
My smallest goat makes a run for fenced chicken pasture every chance he is let back to their area. He knows he fits in coop door and knows the chickens have feed….. he would eat it all given the chance…. Cause he did once! Lucky it wasn’t full that day or he would be gone.

this is false. There are papers showing that both laying hens and chicks select a balanced diet if offered all the necessary elements separately:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119347285
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119562289
I agree, I feed a custom mix and don't ever have a buildup of unwanted parts of the feed. They all have shoveled it in without regard to specifics much. We did have a rooster that would eat these first but eventually ate everything in sight.
JPEG_20230310_134746_6467728876902813685.jpg

Also, I disagree that grinding and pelleting fits the definition of "ultra processed". It is simply processed.
"The simplest way of classifying UPFs is that they are made up of complex mixtures of chemicals and food extracts which don't resemble the original parts of whole foods" Spector op.cit. p. 34.
"UPF labels usually list over 10 [additives]...UPFs are designed to be highly profitable (with low cost ingredients and long shelf lives), convenient (ready to consume), hyper-palatable (addictive) products" p.35.
Sounds to me like a pretty good fit with pelleted feed.

My smallest goat makes a run for fenced chicken pasture every chance he is let back to their area. He knows he fits in coop door and knows the chickens have feed….. he would eat it all given the chance…. Cause he did once! Lucky it wasn’t full that day or he would be gone.
The little devils are often too smart for their own good. If there's a hole anywhere they will find it and go through it, especially if there's something to eat on the other side.

The little devils are often too smart for their own good. If there's a hole anywhere they will find it and go through it, especially if there's something to eat on the other side.
My girl has learned if she body or head slams the bird stalls long enough, it'll pop open and she can go and ear all their feed. Freaking goat

Back
Top Bottom