PrincessTee

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
Ohio
My family and I have ordered half a dozen buff orpingtons hoping to raise them for dual purpose. I have done hours of research but can't seem to find an answer to my question regarding feed.
We would like our orpingtons to be layers but eventually use them at our dinner table. Are there any recommendations on feed once they're older? Do we mix feed? Is it okay for them to just continue on feed for egg-layers? Do we feed them something just for broilers? Is there a right or wrong way to approach this aspect? Any and all advice is welcomed.

We would like our orpingtons to be layers but eventually use them at our dinner table. Are there any recommendations on feed once they're older? Do we mix feed? Is it okay for them to just continue on feed for egg-layers? Do we feed them something just for broilers? Is there a right or wrong way to approach this aspect? Any and all advice is welcomed.
It sounds like you are getting pullets and plan to eat them later after they have seen their best egg laying days. I'm not sure at what age you plan to eat them. I'd raise and feed them as if they were going to be layers because that will be their most important function. No matter what you feed pullets or hens, they just aren't going to get that big of have that much meat.

Back
Top Bottom