New Member - SLC, UT

SnowKnitty

Songster
6 Years
Jan 20, 2017
South Jordan, Utah
Hi Everyone. I've been on the site a lot prior to joining. I picked up a great deal of valuable information and want to say thanks for your contributions!
My husband and I inherited a coop and small flock (5 hens plus 1 roo) from the prior owners of my home with no information about their breed, ages, etc. It was a learning experience and not all of it good. The first summer, we were reveling about our turnkey egg farm from our free ranging flock. Then, several members got coccidiosis. At the time, we didn't even know what that was!
sickbyc.gif
I learned a lot on this site very quickly. The former owners told us they always left the coop open and had never had any predation problems. We lost 2 hens to a predator who used the coop as a late night drive through. Needless to say, we started locking the flock up at night. But we still had to trap the predator. We succeeded in catching him and it was a skunk. Take a moment to think about how one removes a skunk from a live trap in an area where you are not allowed to use a firearm! Now that it's ancient history, I can laugh about it...
Since then, we've incubated and brooded our own "barnyard blend" eggs with good success and lots of fun! This spring, I have some cream legbars coming it to expand our flock and we're thinking about building a new coop!
I'm looking forward to sharing chicken husbandry knowledge and experiences with all of you.

Greetings from Kansas SnowKitty, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you had a pretty steep learning curve but came through with flying colors. Experience truly is the best teacher....but some of the advice and knowledge located on BYC is a much needed bonus! Best wishes to you and your current and future flocks and thanks for joining BYC!!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like you got your feet wet by diving in head first, lol.

Thanks for joining us and congrats on the ever-expanding flock!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sounds like you are doing well to handle what lands in your lap. We've read about others and their skunk problems. Even if they are shot, they manage to foul up the air anyway.
sickbyc.gif

G’Day from down under SnowKnitty
frow.gif
Welcome!

Best of luck with your flock and I hope the road is smooth from now on.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom