ramblinreckrangers

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2023
Hi!
My name is Jess, an Oregonian and am excited to join the BYC group- I utilized this site so much during my preparation an early stages of chickens and had the realization that I should join :) happy to be here! Hoping to find info on deep litter method & ideas on birds of prey protection.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes! New to chickens entirely. We got our chicks in early August.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 19, ended up with 2 roosters, so we have 17 hens. We had 18 however we lost one hen to a hawk yesterday :(

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have: road island reds, plymouth rocks, orpingtons, saphhire gems, a polish hen, cooper maran and 2 that I can't remember their breed, maybe you guys can help me! Possibly easter egger and maybe amereucana (circled in first photo attached, may need a closer up photo)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Oh man, they bring me so much joy. I can't believe how much I enjoy taking care of them and am always looking for ways to help make their life more enjoyable. I could just sit and watch them for hours. Love having our boys get involved in their care as well.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We are getting honey bees in the spring, we enjoy working on our yard & house and exercising.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I have 3 little boys, (4,2,1) who love helping with our chickens. We have a yellow lab Pearl who also loves "helping" me with the chickens (we are thrilled she doesn't attack them, I've heard that can happen). We own our own business and are in real estate.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have utilized info from BYC since first getting our chicks, it didn't occur to me until recently to join, glad I did.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.02.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.02.46 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.00.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.00.19 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9361.jpeg
    IMG_9361.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.09.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 6.09.19 AM.png