New member intro: OhInKy tri state, 3 hens, garden zone 6b

KJsHalfPintFarm

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2024
SW Ohio
Hello it's day 49 with my 3 ISA brown hens Fomo, Shadow and Shy. They are 10 months old first brought into the family as chicks by my brother, then fostered out to inlaws in suburban/rural free range setup until my life and yard were ready.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, Dec 1 2023 and I was a nervous wreck since I'm in my 50s and have never even had a pet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
ISA Brown

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their amazing personalities

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, farmers markets, walking, biking and ebiking.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
A wonderful, supportive, crazy, sneaky family that threw me a surprise chicken shower.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found Feb 2023 when I started researching Coops. Joined because it's been single digit cold with wind chills in the negatives and I'm really worried about my chickens. And I'm not on social media

Attachments

• 20240108_121620.jpg
    20240108_121620.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 39
Hello it's day 49 with my 3 ISA brown hens Fomo, Shadow and Shy. They are 10 months old first brought into the family as chicks by my brother, then fostered out to inlaws in suburban/rural free range setup until my life and yard were ready.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, Dec 1 2023 and I was a nervous wreck since I'm in my 50s and have never even had a pet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 3

(3) What breeds do you have? ISA Brown

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Their amazing personalities

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, farmers markets, walking, biking and ebiking.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. A wonderful, supportive, crazy, sneaky family that threw me a surprise chicken shower.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :DFound Feb 2023 when I started researching Coops. Joined because it's been single digit cold with wind chills in the negatives and I'm really worried about my chickens. And I'm not on social media
Hellooo and welcome!!! :frow :welcome
Nice to meet you!! I like your chicken picture!! theyre cute:love

Greetings from Iowa! It’s been cold as heck here, with lows around -20f. I too was worried to death for my ladies. They are doing just fine! I sat in their run with them this afternoon and with the temp at +22f, they were happy and funny. Back to the deep freeze 🥶 for a few days then back to the mid to high 30s. From my flock to yours, welcome!

Thanks! In the 20s here today too felt like a heat wave. My concern is instead of the roost bar in the hen house they are roosting in the run but they seem OK since I'm getting eggs every day. I've covered all the hardware cloth with tarp for wind break. When I check on them in the morning they are hanging out in the hen house. I also have a little plastic greenhouse on the south side of my house so it's a nice sunny spot in the yard for them to take afternoon naps.

Attachments

• 20231214_124234.jpg
    20231214_124234.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231215_172438.jpg
    20231215_172438.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom