New Member Alert

JunebugTN

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Hey y’all! Looking forward to learning for everyone here as we begin our chicken endeavor! My wife and I are currently chicken-less, but are getting everything in order to bring a handful home! We’re located in Tennessee and are anxious to get our birds. Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or advice is welcome and encouraged as we are brand new! Can’t wait to interact and learn from y’all!

-Junebug

Hey y’all! Looking forward to learning for everyone here as we begin our chicken endeavor! My wife and I are currently chicken-less, but are getting everything in order to bring a handful home! We’re located in Tennessee and are anxious to get our birds. Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or advice is welcome and encouraged as we are brand new! Can’t wait to interact and learn from y’all!

-Junebug
Welcome! Where in TN are you located? I’ve got family in Crossville and friends all over the state.

My best advice is to use this forum to gather info and ideas. Especially now, while you’re prepping for chicklets, read through peoples’ articles and posts about setting up your coop and run. (It’s a LOT easier to have the coop and run built BEFORE you buy chicks, trust me on that! 😂)

Some things to consider; why do you want chickens - as pets, for meat and eggs for home use or to sell, to breed and sell? How much space can you realistically utilize for your flock? Are you in town or in the country (neighbors close by may not appreciate the sounds and smells from your birds)? Where can you dispose of all the poop (cuz there’s gonna be a LOT)? What breeds best suit your preferences and purposes? How much money do you have to invest (can effect the number of chickens, quality of coop/run, etc.)? How much time will you have to spend on or with your birds? And never forget, chicken math is real!

Welcome! Where in TN are you located? I’ve got family in Crossville and friends all over the state.

My best advice is to use this forum to gather info and ideas. Especially now, while you’re prepping for chicklets, read through peoples’ articles and posts about setting up your coop and run. (It’s a LOT easier to have the coop and run built BEFORE you buy chicks, trust me on that! 😂)

Some things to consider; why do you want chickens - as pets, for meat and eggs for home use or to sell, to breed and sell? How much space can you realistically utilize for your flock? Are you in town or in the country (neighbors close by may not appreciate the sounds and smells from your birds)? Where can you dispose of all the poop (cuz there’s gonna be a LOT)? What breeds best suit your preferences and purposes? How much money do you have to invest (can effect the number of chickens, quality of coop/run, etc.)? How much time will you have to spend on or with your birds? And never forget, chicken math is real!
We’re in West TN close to Memphis, but we have family in Cookeville and Nashville. We’re looking for pets/egg layers. Just about 3-6 (I know we’ll want more lol) is all we’re planning for in the beginning. We are just getting our feet wet and are gonna go from there! Neighbors are close-ish, but also have chickens as well!

Back
Top Bottom