New hens won't come out of coop.

VicarHen

Hatching
Apr 23, 2018
Hi
I've got three new hens, about 16 weeks old. They've been raised in a shed and not yet free ranged.
They were keen to go to bed (which is handy) but now don't want to venture outside at all. I got one out thinking the others would follow, and she scratched about for a bit, but then went back to bed, with the others. Should I just leave them to settle in, and find their freedom when they're ready, or eject them so they learn their new boundaries?

Hi
I've got three new hens, about 16 weeks old. They've been raised in a shed and not yet free ranged.
They were keen to go to bed (which is handy) but now don't want to venture outside at all. I got one out thinking the others would follow, and she scratched about for a bit, but then went back to bed, with the others. Should I just leave them to settle in, and find their freedom when they're ready, or eject them so they learn their new boundaries?
Welcome to BYC!

How long have you had them?
Like the other said, just be patient.

That's teenagers for you! Won't get out of bed! Seriously though, give them time to readjust. They will settle down and when they realise the great outdoors is better than indoors they will be fine. Then you won't be able to get them in! Just make sure the feeders and drinkers are outside. That will give them a reason to go out.

That behavior is normal. Sometimes when I first open the pop door for the first time every chicken is on the ground within 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 3 days before the first one ventures out. I typically provide food and water inside and out so it's not an issue.

On this type of thing I try to not force them. Let them manage it any way they wish. They will be OK and I don't have to stress.

That behavior is normal. Sometimes when I first open the pop door for the first time every chicken is on the ground within 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 3 days before the first one ventures out. I typically provide food and water inside and out so it's not an issue.

On this type of thing I try to not force them. Let them manage it any way they wish. They will be OK and I don't have to stress.
this good :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom