New Hens won’t roost with old Hens

Hitte’sHens

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2018
Hey guys

I have 8 hens 2yrs old and 8 4-5 month old hens (maybe a rooster too)
At night my older hens head to the coop and my younger ones stay down and lay in the dog crate they were raised in.
How do I go about making them go up in the roost with the older hens?

Attachments

• FCF1FDA3-A18C-498E-B32C-05EBB03A74FF.jpeg
    FCF1FDA3-A18C-498E-B32C-05EBB03A74FF.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 0880F831-79E4-4964-91CA-251D4882D411.jpeg
    0880F831-79E4-4964-91CA-251D4882D411.jpeg
    608.3 KB · Views: 42
If you raised the chicks in the kennel, they think that's "home". You may need to take it away for a while until they settle in to the fact that the coop is their new digs. And you may need to pick them up and put them up in the coop for a while. Or, if there's room, you might put the kennel inside the coop, then take it away once they understand where they're safe at night.

Next time you might consider raising chicks in the coop. I use a wire dog kennel that keeps them safe while they're vulnerable but also permits visual contact between your first flock and your new one.

Thank you!

Yes I raised them in the crate in the coopto get used to the other chickens.
Now they just won’t leave it to roost but socializing great with the other birds.

Thabk you!!

The elders probably will not let the youngsters roost with them.
My older hens still don't let the newest youngsters (now a year old) roost with them. I added more roosts, and the elders spread out to purposely exclude them. I made dividers on the roosts and that helps.

I had to physically put my new girls inside the coop. With my setup I was able to wire off a section and at dusk I’d put them in put the wire up (take it down in the morning.)
By the third day they went to their spot. The older hen would bully them off (common non-injury behavior). They had it all settled within a week. That’s what worked for me. I agree pictures of the inside would help us help you.

If the crate is in the coop just don't worry about it. They'll roost when they're feeling entitled enough to do so, mine always do.
Would help to put a "kid's" roost in there so that new found entitlement dosen't get their bell rung.:)
Thank you!

Yes I raised them in the crate in the coopto get used to the other chickens.
Now they just won’t leave it to roost but socializing great with the other birds.

Thabk you!!

Update....

I removed the crate and had to physically put them in the roost for 2 nights. They would jump right back out but finally the third night they went to roost on their own!!

Now they are all roosting together!

Thank you for your help!!

Pic of inside of coop showing roosts, please?
Might not be enough room in there for the youngsters.
They won't make their way into the main pecking order until they start to lay,
so best to have a separate roost for them.

Is this the entire coop, maybe 6x6'?
View attachment 1665033

My coop is 18x24
My roost is around 6x6 and it has three 6 ft long 2x4s to roost on.
It’s tiered and had a chicken wire bottom for the poo to fall through

Back
Top Bottom