New heat lamp and bulb different watts, need help

irishchickens101

Chirping
Aug 12, 2019
Ireland
Hey!
I'm getting chicks in a couple weeks for the first time so recently got equipment for them, the bulb and lamp protecter were advertised together but when they arrived the protecter says 175Watt max while the bulb says 250 watt. Is this safe to use? :jumpy

Without knowing exactly what you have, I would say no. This could be a fire hazard. The rating is concerning the heat resistance of the actual socket and wires, and if used with a higher watt bulb, which equals more heat, it could be in danger of melting.
Thank you so much

I have this exact product, and it works beautifully, with MUCH less chance of fire. Plus, chicks need some dark time, just like humans, and these allow heat with no light.

There are several types and manufacturers of similar items. There are also many threads here concerning these type of devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Rural365-Chick-Heating-Plate-Brooder/dp/B082DQJS2Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=RZNKOZ99OW0V&dchild=1&keywords=chick+heater+for+baby+chicken&qid=1613655429&sprefix=chick+heat,aps,782&sr=8-2

I have this also and just ordered 2 more. I love it! Right now heat plates are starting to get hard to find, Especially with the no roost topper. I just ordered mine with the toppers from www.myfavoritechicken.com they still have some. Definitely not the cheapest route to go but I wanted the tops with them.

How many chicks are you getting? With just a few, you wouldn’t need a big heat bulb like that. You may be able to find a 100 watt at Home Depot or hardware store. Remember they need an area in their brooder that isn’t as warm, but has ambient room temp, so they can choose their proper temp. A mama hen takes her babies outside in quite chilly weather, and they go under her when they get cold.
I use a ceramic heat emitter, which puts out heat but no light. You can screw one into your fixture that you already have. I got a 75 watt, but they come w wattages higher as well. I ordered it online, but you can also find them in pet stores in the reptile aisle.
When there is no light, the chicks will sleep all night.
E9F03F16-D27C-4FD1-87B2-572551C5B67C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom