New Feeder, not sure if they're catching on

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I took down my old "Little Giant" because they were finnicky and spilling food everywhere. I made one of those brute trash cans with the PVC elbows going in it. While I don't stand out there all day, I've never seen them eat from it. I even go in and take food, let them eat out of my hand, then I toss some into the elbow. I'm wondering if the inside of the PVC elbow is too dark and they can't see into it. It's inside the coop and while there is a window, I'm not sure how long I should give it.

Throw some scratch or treats around it and inside the end of the elbow. All it takes is one bird to find and the others will follow suit. Do you only have one elbow?
Multiple birds will appreciate multiple feed stations. If the trash can has 4 sides, use 4 elbows if possible. If round can, use 3.

I have 5 elbows actually in there, for the big 32 gallon can. They don't seem desperate but I just don't see them eat it

oh I have no way of telling right now. I just filled it with 200 lbs of feed and didn't mark it. although today I went out at night to check on one of the girls that might be broody and I saw some fine dust at the floor. So maybe they started?

I'm going to make a riser just to make it a bit higher. Probably made it too low. We have a tiny silkie so I had to accomodate her

That is a ready made rat buffet. Two hundred pounds no less.

Watch a chicken just doing its thing. They are looking around constantly, looking for threats, predators. They are prey animals. Asking a chicken to stick its head into a 3" plumbing elbow might work but the chickens aren't going to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom