New Farmer in NorCal raising chickens, turkeys, and geese

Best wishes from New England, where the weather hasn't quite decided on full spring yet. So sorry you are having a rocky start to farming!

We do have a turkey forum, and there are "sticky topics" at the top when you visit the forum. These have been marked as especially helpful. Here are a few articles about turkeys:

Choosing healthy turkey poults

Basic Q&A Turkey Primer

Intro to Housing & Space for Turkeys

Managing Turkey Waste & Manure

Here is a link to the goose forum, again with "sticky topics," and an article on keeping geese healthy.

Here is a list of chicken ailments, and remedies. If you plan to get new birds or hatching eggs, either choose a local provider who has a good, clean hatchery, or try a different online hatchery. I've had good experiences with Meyer Hatchery.

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Ummmm, hi! I'm a new member and the robots that run this site told me to do this so here I am! I'm in zone 9a in Northern California starting (very slowly and very awkwardly) farming with my partner. We also decided to get some foul involved and are currently raising 3 Toulouse geese, 3 Narraganset turkeys, and 8 Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Buckeye chicks with more on the way. I've raised chickens many times but have never had such a rocky start with this batch we had delivered so sick birds are all new to me and the reason I'm here. Turkeys are notoriously delicate and I'm doing my best there but am needing some help, but omg I love them so much! And the geese are just absolute tanks trucking along like champs. Anywho, nice to meet y'all and I hope to give as much help as I receive :)
Welcome fellow Nor. Cal member.

Back
Top Bottom