New egg layers and spongy shells

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
I have new pullets that are 17-20 weeks old. 3 just started laying this past week. I have gotten a few soft spongy shell eggs. they are on poulin grower crumblet finisher. should I mix some oyster shell in the grower feed or should I wait it out. . I know the first few new eggs will be spongy until there bodys get used to laying.

They now need calcium to produce the egg shells, in amounts much higher than previously. Yes, it is time for shells, in a side dish. You can also buy Calcium Carbonate sold as pelletized garden lime. This is a bit trickier in that most garden lime has far too much magnesium. Read the label. If the magnesium level is very low, say 10% or less, than these pellets can also be used.

As for feeding it in a side dish or mixing directly into the feed? When mixing shells, how do you know if you are including the proper ratio? For this reason, most folks offer the shells on the side and allow the birds to peck at them as their inner body needs control their desire.

Another option is to also feed a Layer formula. Layer has the additional calcium already included. Most Layer is also 16-18% protein.

Last edited:
You could continue with the grower - finisher and provide oyster shell in dish near the feed. Those who need the calcium will eat the oyster shell. The others will not. When this feed runs out, start feeding layer feed which has calcium in it sufficient for egg shell formation.

Chris

thanks freds hens and chris, that's what I planned on doing finishing the grower with oyster shell on the side and then switch to egg maker plus, it has 18% protein for maximum egg production a little higher protein than the regular layer.

Back
Top Bottom