Jaeke320

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone:) I have a 8x12 shed that I’m turning into a chicken coop with chicken runs on each side. I would love your thoughts on how and what would be beneficial. I have 22 girls:) Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_8771.jpeg
    IMG_8771.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 40
I would use welded wire instead of chicken wire. It's a bit more expensive but holds up to many years to come. I would also suggest if you have a predator problem to wire over the top to keep the hawks and climber out and to trench and concrete in the wire at the bottom.

Hi everyone:) I have a 8x12 shed that I’m turning into a chicken coop with chicken runs on each side. I would love your thoughts on how and what would be beneficial. I have 22 girls:) Thanks so much
Lots of ventilation, under the eaves and roof peak ventilation is a must. At least one square foot of ventilation per bird.
1 nest box per 3-4 birds, 16" of roost bar per bird.
Thank you for replying! This is great! I’m new to backyard chickens. I opened an account a while back but not really active! I’m really gonna use this! Such amazing content!

Is that an interior wall I see thru the door?

I have 22 girls
8x12 might be a bit tight for 22 birds.
Would help if your runs are weather and predator proof.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Jaeke320
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1685053664097.png

Lots of ventilation, under the eaves and roof peak ventilation is a must. At least one square foot of ventilation per bird.
1 nest box per 3-4 birds, 16" of roost bar per bird.
I would use welded wire instead of chicken wire. It's a bit more expensive but holds up to many years to come. I would also suggest if you have a predator problem to wire over the top to keep the hawks and climber out and to trench and concrete in the wire at the bottom.

Is that an interior wall I see thru the door?

8x12 might be a bit tight for 22 birds.
Would help if your runs are weather and predator proof.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Jaeke320
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3518285
Thank you :) Yes it is but not permanent. Anything can be added or changed. I will add my info. Your amazing! I feel confident now that I’ll have a well constructed coop:)

Thank you :) Yes it is but not permanent. Anything can be added or changed. I will add my info. Your amazing! I feel confident now that I’ll have a well constructed coop:)
I have a barn with 100+ chickens, so this is not my first. Very large barn. This is for my backyard. I have someone who is needing chickens very soon because she thinks that two are not going to make it, so I’m holding them for her:)

Back
Top Bottom