New chickies!

JHDucks

Chirping
Mar 4, 2023
Perfect Mother's Day presents! The ducks are so much fun, we decided to add some chickens! (And yes, all the ducks are girls).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512-184316_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512-184316_Messages.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1899(1).jpg
    IMG_1899(1).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240512_184155.jpg
    20240512_184155.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 4
🐥 welcome to BYC!! I took my mom out to pick up a couple of new ducklings today too — happy Mother’s Day!!

Has anyone here introduced chickens to a duck flock? I'm thinking once they're feathered, we should take a couple field trips first. The ducks will probably be scared of them (they were terrified of a rubber mat we put under their water dishes 🤣)

I've done it many times I start by putting up a dog pen and have the chicks out with the ducks in this that way everyone get to meet each other Eventually, I have to cover the top of the pen to keep the chicks inside. Once the chicks are around 5 weeks old I let them out they are able to stay away from the ducks chickens and goose at this point.They sleep in a large dog crate inside the coop for IMG_1188.jpeg about a week before they can roost inside with the other chickens. As you can see the chickens were more interested than the ducks lol if you use a dog pen you'll have to wrap it to keep the chicks from going through I used plastic poultry fencing. This was in June so nice warm weather.

I've done it many times I start by putting up a dog pen and have the chicks out with the ducks in this that way everyone get to meet each other Eventually, I have to cover the top of the pen to keep the chicks inside. Once the chicks are around 5 weeks old I let them out they are able to stay away from the ducks chickens and goose at this point.They sleep in a large dog crate inside the coop forView attachment 3829907 about a week before they can roost inside with the other chickens. As you can see the chickens were more interested than the ducks lol if you use a dog pen you'll have to wrap it to keep the chicks from going through I used plastic poultry fencing. This was in June so
What a good idea, thank you. Beautiful chickens too!

Back
Top Bottom