New chicken mama

MOchickmama

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Hello,

I'm a new chicken mama. I had chickens growing up but they weren't "mine". I've wanted chickens and promised myself if I ever got a place with acreage of my own i would get them. Last year we bought a house with 7 acres and we are in love with it.

In late April I started my collection of chicks with 3 beautiful white bantam babies and 3 amazing barred rocks from TSC.

I wanted to start out with BR and RIRs but they didn't have any RIRs. I ordered some from a local hatchery but when I went to pick up my brooder from TSC they had chicks so I came home 6 babies. So I cancelled my order (my order was only 1 day old).

I wasnt going to get the bantams but there were only 3 left at TSC and they only sell them in 4 chicks so I couldn't leave them behind. They are straight run and I don't know what kind they are, maybe OE? I tried my best to pick out BR that were not boys but the guy was getting inpatient with "my no, not that one" 10 times in a row so I just said the smallest dots on their head and got an all black one. I asked if the all black was a black sexlinks and he said no, they only got BRs in that were black. Although I suspect I'm right. They are over 3 weeks old now and out of 3 "BRs" only 2 have any bars or white on them.

Later I called back a week later to TSC and they had RIR so I had to get them. This time my youngest came with me and helped me pick out our new chicks. I picked out 2 "female" RIRs from the straight run, 2 California Tan pullets, 2 Smokey Pearl pullets, and my son had to have a tricolor bantam, straight run. So we now have a baker's dozen.

I still don't know if I have hens or roos but I'm pretty sure one of my BRs is a roo we call him Guy. Hudson is the little tricolored bantam, named after his favorite cousin, (I figured it would work for a roo or a hen, and Blaze one of my California Tans, the rest we're waiting to name until I know if they are roos or hens.

We have had so much fun with them! I joined Backyard chickens because I have been googling everything since I first thought of getting chickens.

It has been an adventure so far. Here are some pics of things so far. I got the brooder from TSC and it was too big so I had to convert my deep tubs to a double wide. Then we put our dogs unused collapsed kennel on top so they wouldn’t get out. Its been quite handy I can open it from either side and I have tied it down with bungee cords.

Maybe you can help me figure out if I have roos or hens? Looking forward being a part of the community!

p.s. Guy flew up on the top of the brooder last night when we opened the top. So I had to include his picture. 75696.jpeg 75700.jpeg
20220427_185218.jpg 20220427_185203.jpg 20220427_184836.jpg 20220423_070501.jpg 75696.jpeg 75700.jpeg 20220427_185156.jpg 20220425_202225.jpg 20220425_050033.jpg 20220422_203541.jpg 20220422_194136.jpg 20220427_185218.jpg Screenshot_20220428-102846_Gallery.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Other than the little PBR cockerel pictured on top of the crate, the others are too young to determine gender. You're going to have to wait until they get around 6 weeks old. But pulling from the straight run bin, you're more than likely going to have a lot more than 1 cockerel in the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom