New chicken mama questions

If you have a really protective but friendly rooster. They practically do the job for you. They will alert the hens to come to the coop once they see it turns dusk. But the only issue about it is that a rooster will most likely do it too early so you will sometimes have all your chickens in the coop at like 5 PM (Sometimes)
I
If you have a really protective but friendly rooster. They practically do the job for you. They will alert the hens to come to the coop once they see it turns dusk. But the only issue about it is that a rooster will most likely do it too early so you will sometimes have all your chickens in the coop at like 5 PM (Sometimes)
I wish we could have a Roo. I love them

You didn't say how old they are, or I missed it. You could sprinkle a little scratch in coop before bed to coax them in. They will soon associate whatever cup or dish your bringing scratch in, and follow you in. My 5 week olds I've had to coax in a little earlier to their brooder coop to avoid the roost rumble that the bigs have at dusk. Their not fully integrated yet, the big girls are more welcoming, but my roo is not so much. It's taking a bit, having to over see him during integration.

Best of luck ..🙂
They’re just about 8-9 weeks old

I’m new too, my chicks are over 10 weeks now. I won’t answer all the other questions since you got advice. Just my 2 sense on the locking them in the coop for days part. I did not want to do that either. I had planned to catch them in the attached run with my husband’s help for about 2 weeks, however long it took for them to go on their own. I have an auto door so I want them inside at dusk. We wrangled them up ONE night and ever since then they’ve gone in on their own. Whew! 😅 they’ve been out there about a month now. Good luck.

I’m new too, my chicks are over 10 weeks now. I won’t answer all the other questions since you got advice. Just my 2 sense on the locking them in the coop for days part. I did not want to do that either. I had planned to catch them in the attached run with my husband’s help for about 2 weeks, however long it took for them to go on their own. I have an auto door so I want them inside at dusk. We wrangled them up ONE night and ever since then they’ve gone in on their own. Whew! 😅 they’ve been out there about a month now. Good luck.
They definitely used the roost last night so it seems like they’re getting it! I’m going to wait a little later tonight and see if they go in on their own.

UPDATE:

Two nights of putting them in and tonight, they were all in there waiting for me, like magic. Some were up on the roosts, some on the ground. I had brought them unsalted pepitas and rewarded them for being the best chickies ever! It was a bit closer to 8 pm tonight… I’m just glad I didn’t have to coop train them. It just didn’t sit right with me.

I’m just so proud of them!

UPDATE:

Two nights of putting them in and tonight, they were all in there waiting for me, like magic. Some were up on the roosts, some on the ground. I had brought them unsalted pepitas and rewarded them for being the best chickies ever! It was a bit closer to 8 pm tonight… I’m just glad I didn’t have to coop train them. It just didn’t sit right with me.

I’m just so proud of them!
Yay. Congratulations. They’re smarter than most people give them credit for. I don’t get that “lock them in for days” business.

7. You should start introducing oyster shell into their diet at around 3 1/2 months of age. Right before they should start laying. I give oyster shells to my flock 3 times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
Technically you can have oyster shell sitting around at any age, it's fine if they sample it but they really shouldn't eat it until they need it.

Not sure why you space out their oyster shell intake, or is it because you just toss it on the ground?

Technically you can have oyster shell sitting around at any age, it's fine if they sample it but they really shouldn't eat it until they need it.

Not sure why you space out their oyster shell intake, or is it because you just toss it on the ground?
I toss it on the ground! I can’t put it in the feeder because it gets stuck!

I toss it on the ground! I can’t put it in the feeder because it gets stuck!
An open dispenser of some sort like a hanging dish or even a small bowl works too, if other dispensers make it difficult.

But tossing on the ground is perfectly fine as long as they get enough to meet their needs.

Back
Top Bottom