Nesting pads

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
Can anybody please give me a little guidance? I am using nesting pads in my nesting boxes. How often do they need to be changed? I currently have 2 girls that are laying, but each in their own box. Thanks!

As long as they hold up and aren't infested with mites or such, they can stay until the hens eventually obliterate them. I switched to the astro-turf pads and now I'll just give 'em a wash once in a while, but not super frequently.
Thank you! I was thinking about tho Astro-turf ones. Do you put any bedding/ nesting materials in with it or just the pad? How do the girls respond to them?

Thank you! I was thinking about tho Astro-turf ones. Do you put any bedding/ nesting materials in with it or just the pad? How do the girls respond to them?
I have astro turf ones, but my girls aren't laying yet. I put pine shavings in on top of the pads, and a ceramic egg in each. They're investigating, but nobody poops in there, and no eggs just yet. (Waiting...waiting...waiting...)

Ive wondered about those too. Are they pretty thick? Do you cut to size?
Got six of them--and have four nest boxes, but only three are open for use. They were 13 x 13, so they "smush" down into the 12 x 12 boxes after I cut the corners off a little. :)

And--I got eggs yesterday! Two little ones! Which means either I missed seeing that first one (she laid it in the sand tray below the roosts) or I have two of them laying. Yay!

Got six of them--and have four nest boxes, but only three are open for use. They were 13 x 13, so they "smush" down into the 12 x 12 boxes after I cut the corners off a little. :)

And--I got eggs yesterday! Two little ones! Which means either I missed seeing that first one (she laid it in the sand tray below the roosts) or I have two of them laying. Yay!
Yay 1st eggs are the GREATEST. They are so little and cute! Sounds like time to open up boxes.

I have the turf ones. I liked the excelsior ones MUCH better, but my ducks would eat them. The turf ones are fine. I put pine shavings over them.

The excelsior ones were AWESOME. The birds could shape them like actual nests, but couldn't kick out the material. When I'd clean the coop weekly, I'd just shake them out and put them back.
91S244ic7nL._AC_SS450_.jpg

These turf ones are washable, though, which I do like. I also just shake them out between thorough cleanings. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom