Nesting Boxes

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
I was just wondering, my barred rock chickens are getting CLOSE to the time of being old enough to start laying eggs. So when does everyone remove their barricade for their nest boxes and when and how do you know to add the crushed oyster shells into their diet?

TYIA

How old are they? What's their diet?
They are about 14 almost 15 weeks old, I still have them on grower feed and was going to change them to a layer feed in another week to two weeks. They have access to fresh greens (hostas) once a day and mealworms every few days and the occasional hanging head of cabbage.

They are about 14 almost 15 weeks old, I still have them on grower feed and was going to change them to a layer feed in another week to two weeks. They have access to fresh greens (hostas) once a day and mealworms every few days and the occasional hanging head of cabbage.
I think hostas are toxic but I'd have to check. 17-18 weeks is when you can open the boxes. They can eat grower their whole lives with oyster shell on the side. They likely don't need oyster shell when eating layer. But if you prefer layer, find one with at least 18% protein since they're still growing until 30-40 weeks.

I think hostas are toxic but I'd have to check. 17-18 weeks is when you can open the boxes. They can eat grower their whole lives with oyster shell on the side. They likely don't need oyster shell when eating layer. But if you prefer layer, find one with at least 18% protein since they're still growing until 30-40 weeks.
They have been eating hostas for a while now, everything I read and told were that hostas are like crack for chickens lol and they seem pretty happy to eat them right up. Havent noticed any issues either. Will it be bad if I switch to a layer feed but still provide them oyster shells on the side? They wont overdose on calcium will they? I assume they would just eat what was needed kind of like grit?

They have been eating hostas for a while now, everything I read and told were that hostas are like crack for chickens lol and they seem pretty happy to eat them right up. Havent noticed any issues either. Will it be bad if I switch to a layer feed but still provide them oyster shells on the side? They wont overdose on calcium will they? I assume they would just eat what was needed kind of like grit?
You can provide layer and supplement calcium but high levels of calcium can prevent vitamin absorption. They usually just take what they need but there's usually a few dim bulbs.
Most people wait a few more weeks before switching to layer but as long as the protein level is good.
Hostas are toxic to pets, I wouldn't risk it.
Chickens also eat Styrofoam and drywall like crack but it's not good for them.

I'd advise opening nests now, especially if they're already roosting reliably. You want to give them time to explore nests before they need them, so they learn that they're there, and it also gives you time to address any potential issues beforehand (i.e. nest sleeping), so they don't become issues.

Chickens also eat Styrofoam and drywall like crack but it's not good for them.
Funny you should mention this...My wife had a big piece of old styrofoam insulation down under her mulch and the ding dongs found it. It was truly like crack!! LOL I took it up and they came back for a couple of days just to make sure it didn't somehow return. LOL

I'd advise opening nests now, especially if they're already roosting reliably. You want to give them time to explore nests before they need them, so they learn that they're there, and it also gives you time to address any potential issues beforehand (i.e. nest sleeping), so they don't become issues.
I did this ^^^^ So far working out great!!

This^^^

I still have them on grower feed and was going to change them to a layer feed in another week to two weeks.
Some of us never use layer feed.
I've fed 20% all flock type of feed with a separate container of oyster shell for the active layers, has worked well for 10 years now.

Back
Top Bottom