Nesting boxes UNDER roost? Just brainstorming.

m0ther_g00se

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, GA
hi all. I just moved my three-week-old girls out to their official chicken house because they outgrew their brooder. They still have heat lamps, don't worry! I positioned their roost and am thinking about nesting boxes; I wanted something easy to clean that wouldn't rot or be susceptible to moisture-related problems, because we have ducks that might use them too, so I decided on the "nesting bucket" idea. I was going to put them under the roost, thinking it'd be okay because when the buckets are on their side they have a top so the eggs wouldn't get all poopy, but I haven't actually seen anybody try this before. Good idea? Bad idea? Should I just try it and see how it goes? Feel free to send pics of your nesting box setups, too. I'll take all the help I can get lol.

well the thing is I'm not sure if a poop board would be necessary because I can just hose off the "top" (side) of the buckets when I go to clean the chicken house? I can always put one if it's needed obviously.

also sorry, i didn't attach any pictures of what I was thinking of. Something like this is what i am hoping to achieve, just laid out side-by-side on the floor of the coop underneath the roosting bars.

Attachments

• 1638733920218.png
    1638733920218.png
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 32
I have nest boxes under the roost. I do have a roost tray, though. Also, mine are not buckets but are built out of wood, and they are not on the ground. The nest are actually attached to the bottom of the poop tray, and high enough off the coop floor that the birds can use the floor space under them but low enough that they can just hop into them. So, probably 20 to 24 inches off the floor.

The way you are planning on doing it should work just fine. I, personally, would prefer them off the floor if you are able to if for no other reason for the floor space for the birds to use. It would also make it a bit easier collecting eggs. You know so you do not have to bend over quite as much, but that is just me. As long as you stabilize them in some way so that they are not rolling it should work fine.

thanks for the input!! i'm not concerned about floor space at the moment because their "coop" space (half of a repurposed run-in shed) is 8' by 16', which from what i've seen should be plenty of space per bird even with the nesting boxes on the ground. good to know that they should be fine.
i'll update the thread once i actually get them constructed (if i remember) and see how the girls like 'em once they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom