Neighbors Dog is Digging Into My Yard!

Haley and others.......I have one segment of my chicken yard fence that was placed about 1 foot inside a woven wire livestock fence. It sets on step in insulated posts, and was no more expensive.....along with being easier to maintain and build....... than hanging insulators on the steel posts that holds up the woven wire. If a german shepard tried to crawl under my fence, his nose would come into contact with the electric fence about the same time as his front shoulders were under the woven wire fence.

In practice, it is brutally effective for any animal coming through or under the fence. They get trapped in there and will get repeated shocks before they can get clear of it. Will not physically harm any of them, but will assure nobody tries it twice. I have seen several dogs get it.....and the response is always the same. Loud yelp, followed by dog sprinting for the horizon as fast as their legs will carry them.

The net effect is the neighbors dog will no longer be interested in chickens. My neighbors dog took an interest in my birds early on, got zapped and even now, if it is out with the owner....whose garden is less than 50 feet from the fence......and birds just on the other side of the fence, it looks the other way. Wants nothing to do with them.
Can you please show a picture of this?

I tried everything with my neighbors over situations like this. My neighbors driveway/house is right on my property line- MY house and drive is a good 1/2 acre away from my property line. However my neighbors managed to find ways to do anything they could to disturb the peace and my small dog wire fence could not stop them. - Being nice and asking kindly did not help. Once, when the neighbor was outside by the fence (remember it was within steps of his door) I ambled over and started a nice convo with him, and said " You know, I got a lot of land over here. I am thinking of getting a couple of hogs and put them on this side of the house, I think I could maybe get at least 8 in this 1/2 acre. That stopped a lot of the nonsense for a few years- but eventually we had to put up a 8 foot privacy fence. Now, when their dog does anything I just call the Dog pound. They go out and talk to them and if a second call is made they have to pay a fine. Noise? My county has a 24 hour noise ordinance ( thankfully) so I call the police,. These folks do not want the police coming. Burning rubble and plastics and copper off wires? I call the EPA in my area. I am done being nice. Some people only respond to the authorities. - I use to be afraid to report them- til I realized I should be more afraid of what they will do if they do not respect me and my boundaries.

You could dig a trench and put hardware cloth a foot or so into the ground (like is recommended to keep intruders out of a chicken run). That way, when he digs, he hits the buried fencing. Instead of burying it, you could also attach it to the bottom of the chain link and run it a foot or two into your yard, laying flat on the ground. That way, he would need to dig a hole several feet long to actually get into your yard. If you pin the hardware cloth down, you can mow right over it.

Good luck with your problem.
The issue for me is my dog who loves to dig out of the fence. I put the hardwire cloth down and pinned it down about a foot wide along the fence after digging a trench and burying it. So far, so good. Had to learn the hard way- initially, I stapled the wire to the boards (privacy fence). You know, you can't weed wack along the fence with wire on it? I found that out, so I just removed the staples, and put the wire flat and secured it - live and learn.

This option is only if all else fails.

If "all else fails," I would let the dog get onto the property, then kill it. More permanent, and less likely to get someone in trouble for "animal cruelty," given the way laws tend to be written.

But getting Animal Control involved might be something to try sooner than that. Maybe just keep the chickens securely shut up for a bit, quit filling the holes, and let the dog get through--then call Animal Control to address the issue.

Hey,
I have owned dogs for 40 years and chickens for 6 weeks. I am a newbie when it comes to chickens but I am an expert as far as I am concerned when it comes to canines and their ways in addition to dumb humans and their ignorant and lazy ways of treating them and not taking care of them properly. I have had several large breed dogs and a Siberian Husky is one of them. If you live here in the lower 48 you don’t even have any business owning one of them down here because our weather is not appropriate for them but I will not dwell on that now. I will tell you that if the dog you are telling us about has even an ounce of S. H. Blood in him or her he will snap your chickens neck in a second as soon as he reaches it on contact. He will not eat it most likely just kill it. He will run all of them down and snap their necks and be done with the killing and after that he will be done with the affair. He does not want to eat them just kill them. Huskies will herd or run cattle until they die. They have enough wolf in them to know to run herd animals but too much dog in them to kill them usually unless it is a small calf which they will kill if the opportunity is right if they either run it until it becomes too exhausted and dies or it gets the opportunity to kill it because it is small enough to bite and maim. Huskies kill raccoons, possums, rats, slow squirrels & rabbits, wild hogs, and dogs smaller than them like feist, or chihuahua simply by running them down and snapping their necks for the dogs and for the rodents and coon by waiting for them to come into their pens and get to eating their food and just simply sneak up behind them quietly and snap their necks then quickly, quietly, and deadly again. You cannot take chances with this dog where your chickens lives are concerned. He will kill your chickens. It’s just a matter of time. If you don’t prevent it and take the correct precaution he will be successful. Your neighbors his owners don’t care because it’s not their chickens. They don’t have any skin in the game. It’s not going to be any loss to them. It’s not their chickens. You however will suffer. If their is a leash law I would be getting proof of what is happening either on camera or something. I would be getting a pellet gun and popping him with it myself. Find out what the code enforcement laws are in your town. It might come as a surprise to you about your chickens too so be careful but he may not be able to have that kind of dog unless he has a certain type of fencing that is inspected and approved. Just be careful about the laws- all of them and your chickens before you have them go checking. I say get the pellet gun and pop him a few times when the neighbors who are so non challantly land in interested L
I am very familiar with Huskies and their predatory inclinations- that’s why I am so concerned! Since I had the conversation with them, they have been keeping him in their front yard (phew!) and it hasn’t been an issue. We will be building a fence in two weeks and installing hardwire mesh fabric and have already installed electric fencing, just in case they decide to start putting him in the back again. I’ve been documenting everything with photos, videos, and dates so that if he continues to be a pest, animal control will get involved. I have already spoken to them and the dog absolutely can not trespass onto my property (he’s been bending the fence to get his head under to dig and steal my dogs balls). The officer wanted to cite them since I have video of his shenanigans, but I decided not to continue with the citation since they have not had him in the backyard since. But be sure- the next time he is in the backyard and causing trouble (I work from home and my ladies freak out when he’s being naughty), I will not hesitate to call animal control. The neighbors and their dog have received their one get out of jail free pass.

I am very familiar with Huskies and their predatory inclinations- that’s why I am so concerned! Since I had the conversation with them, they have been keeping him in their front yard (phew!) and it hasn’t been an issue. We will be building a fence in two weeks and installing hardwire mesh fabric and have already installed electric fencing, just in case they decide to start putting him in the back again. I’ve been documenting everything with photos, videos, and dates so that if he continues to be a pest, animal control will get involved. I have already spoken to them and the dog absolutely can not trespass onto my property (he’s been bending the fence to get his head under to dig and steal my dogs balls). The officer wanted to cite them since I have video of his shenanigans, but I decided not to continue with the citation since they have not had him in the backyard since. But be sure- the next time he is in the backyard and causing trouble (I work from home and my ladies freak out when he’s being naughty), I will not hesitate to call animal control. The neighbors and their dog have received their one get out of jail free pass.
Great! You are definitely on top of things in this case. I actually didn’t finish my post due to falling asleep writing it. My apologies. We have been constructing our coop and run in rather large fashion during a major heat wave in MS so we have been exhausted. I was going to add that their attitude needed to change a great deal to insure that they didn’t lose their dog. Many times is animal control in some locations even halfway suspects with just even the slightest inclination that a Husky has just even one drop of wolf blood in its makeup they will seize a dog for good no questions asked even more so with bad behavior. So I am not one to be dishonest when it comes to dogs because I love them however I do not like irresponsible ownership for them and I love my chickens as well and plan on protecting mine from predators both the four legged and the two legged kind who are both smart and ignorant. Now you have some other things in your toolbox to work with. Good luck.

Well, done!

Great! You are definitely on top of things in this case. I actually didn’t finish my post due to falling asleep writing it. My apologies. We have been constructing our coop and run in rather large fashion during a major heat wave in MS so we have been exhausted. I was going to add that their attitude needed to change a great deal to insure that they didn’t lose their dog. Many times is animal control in some locations even halfway suspects with just even the slightest inclination that a Husky has just even one drop of wolf blood in its makeup they will seize a dog for good no questions asked even more so with bad behavior. So I am not one to be dishonest when it comes to dogs because I love them however I do not like irresponsible ownership for them and I love my chickens as well and plan on protecting mine from predators both the four legged and the two legged kind who are both smart and ignorant. Now you have some other things in your toolbox to work with. Good luck.
Thank you- good luck with your coop!

Back
Top Bottom