Need to vent here's a thread for it now!!

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
barnie.gif
GUess what we are dealing with already this year? Snow!!! It is early this year, and we are not ready for it. We havent made a trip to the mountians to cut wood for winter burning, I havent trapped all the things I dont want to be snowed on. And Dang it I am just not ready for the stuff!! It seems like we just got over having winter. And here we are again. My Dh didnt get the coop built he promised he would have done. Luckily our nieghbors bought a big camper that was converted into a coop at a auction for a dollar and then resold it to us or we would have frozen chickens. My pullets havent started laying, and my older hens quit so I am buying eggs from the grocery store and then at the same time I am buying chicken fed. Please tell me I am not the only one that isnt ready for winter. I know I should expect it I have lived here in Colorado my whole life. But you know I love springs and summers. Thats when we get to run incubators and hatch chicks without worry about them getting to cold to. Maybe I am just a grinch but I had to take a moment and vent. If there is anyone else who feels as though they need to vent about something feel free to add. Then we all can go about with a smile afterwards. So vent away my friends.
big_smile.png
We can phycologize each other maybe

I lived in Denver many moons ago. I feel for ya. Maybe you will get one last break.

I have done a ton of stuff for winter but still have to put up a few more peices of plastic.
I still want to stock up on wood shavings, I I haven't raked or cleaned the gutters.

:-(

Fluf-

I live in Fleming, CO and, thank goodness, we've not gotten snow but the cold weather is just as bad. I worry all the time in winter about my birds. You are not alone. Trust me! LOL! The only real thing I have to vent on (other than the cold weather) is that a couple of my bantys decided to go broody like end of September and now I worry about the newly arrived chicks! Ugh! They are fine as I set up a dog crate in their coop as a brooder but, I still worry! Oh and the fact that I winterized the other coop when I find out I didn't really have to as it faces east and the sun's warms it for the rest of the day. DOY! Oh well...they'll be even more WARM now! LOL!

~c:->

Here in East Texas, I am not ready either!!
It was 90 degrees on Sunday and then 48 on Monday. I was not prepared and still have not gotten everything ready for winter.

I know we do not have the kind of winters you do, but I was raised in Minnesota & it seems that the ones who get snow are really a lot more ready than us down South. Your winters are so much longer & colder, so there are things like water that you have run below the freeze line. Here most of the water pipes are only a few inches below ground & when the temps get to freezing, we have frozen pipes. I was always more prepared up North than I am here. Even if I wasn't ready for winter, it was always in the back of my mind.
It is so hard to think of winter when the grass is green and still growing.
Most of our pens are pretty open because of the hot summers, so we have to do a lot of winterizing.

Jean

We've been having snow off and on for around a month on the hills around us. It was on the ground last Saturday. This week has been nice and warm - Thanks to all for the good vibes - I have baby chicks arriving this week.

Snow? Wow I have to drive to find that stuff. Winter here just means you might need a jacket at night and on a cold day pants. I usually still cruise around barefoot / sandals unless its raining (Which is never). I love the rain!

They are in the process here of banning wood fires, yes even in fireplaces..... What next no charcoal for my BBQ!
Arggg

Bubba

PSS Do all you snowlanders have birds with feathered feet or that doesn't matter much with modern coops?

Oh Bubba. I want to be where you are. I hate snow. We haven't had any yet but the cold nasty rain is on it's way. My chickens hate the snow as well. They just stand in the doorway and look out when I open the door on cold sunny days.

That cold weather caught us off guard here.
barnie.gif
We usually just have to cover the coops with tarps & bisqueen (sp?)
Shoot, when that cold front came thru, luckily I still had some plastic left rolled up on the north side & unrolled it quick for my poor cold chickens. They won't even go out by the bayou,because of the cold breeze.
I'm not complaining tho, I love the cold weather.
big_smile.png

You are nutts to love the cold. Cold makes me have to sit inside and I end up with cabin fever.I am a bad COloradan. I have lived here all my life and even though it is colder than heck I still wont move.

If you lived in Louisiana you would feel much different about cold weather! After months and months of hot, humid, choking weather, cold is a good thing for us!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom