Need some input

He's very dark for a Sebright, and I wonder if he is impure as he appears to have blue legs rather than slate. I wouldn't breed for profit with him, but for improvement. Breed him to your hens and select any offspring with correct colouring and type, continuing year on year to improve them according to the breed standard, bringing in new blood from good quality birds as necessary. In a few years, you should be able to start selling good quality Sebrights. Starting with birds that aren't as good a quality as others will make it harder, but also arguably more rewarding, and you will gain a better understanding of what to look for in your breeders.

He's very dark for a Sebright, and I wonder if he is impure as he appears to have blue legs rather than slate. I wouldn't breed for profit with him, but for improvement. Breed him to your hens and select any offspring with correct colouring and type, continuing year on year to improve them according to the breed standard, bringing in new blood from good quality birds as necessary. In a few years, you should be able to start selling good quality Sebrights. Starting with birds that aren't as good a quality as others will make it harder, but also arguably more rewarding, and you will gain a better understanding of what to look for in your breeders.
Thanks some good input! Thanks bra. You know your stuff

Back
Top Bottom