Need help!! Sick chicken, breastbone protruding, she's not eating, advice pleass

Fuzzy Butt Hut

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
Southern Indiana
I have 3 hens (Easter egger and Bantam - 2 1/2 yrs old and a Sapphire Gem - 1 1/2 yrs old). I got my EE and Bantam at the same time at TS, then a year later I got a Sapphire Gem from TS as well and when she got old enough I slowly integrated her in with the other 2 and for the most part they all get along...so here's the problems. My Sapphire Gem used to lay pretty light brown eggs but stopped last summer and hasn't laid an egg on her own (I gave her some calcium last fall for a few days and she did lay a couple eggs with that) and then winter was here so I quit giving it to her so she could rest. Other then that she's always seemed healthy, alert, normal acting. Although at times my EE has and does bully her some in which I stop that every time I see it and have even separated the EE overnight (time out/jail) and it does help.
My other 2 hens have been back to laying for months and she still hasn't but seems healthy otherwise. A month ago I saw my Bantam in a lot of distress and quite frankly was in the middle of dieing when I gave her a dose of Valbazen and in like 2-3 minutes she was up walking around acting normal!! I just couldn't believe it, so I gave a dose to the other 2 at that time since I was pretty certain they probably had them as well. I gave all 3 of them another dose a few days later. After all of that I had to move, so my 3 chickens had to be moved out to my sister's, which also has chickens. We closed off a section for them by using hardwire cloth between them. Which has worked out but now my EE (top layer) has stopped laying?? and a couple days ago I picked up my SG and I could feel her breastbone protruding alot and she was very light, too light.
She's been active but thinking back the last couple days she has been acting a little slower, and this morning I go up there and she's up and walking around but still slowly while pecking the ground. She did not eat but saw her get a few little drinks of water and then she walked off and she's standing over by the dust bath, just standing there.
I can tell by the way she is acting it's not good and I need to do something immediately. Her comb is a bright red color standing upright, he does have a nasty butt, I didn't see much poop under the perch last night where she usually sleeps, I've got some pictures of their poop, I can't tell if it's worms or not!?? I'm sick to my stomach and very concerned and worried and been researching non stop trying to figure out what could be wrong and how to treat her!! So if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know!! It will be greatly and much appreciated as I'm running out of time. I've looked up and read so much but I'm still puzzled, confused and not sure what to think or do and just stressed out!! 😥

This hen may have coccidiosis and I would treat all your chickens that you moved to your sister's. When chickens are moved to a new location, sometimes they will not be resistant to the local strain of coccidia and will then get sick. Corid liquid in the water at two teaspoons per gallon for five days, a week off, then five more days on Corid to get any that have hatched. Put a little sugar in the water to encourage her and the other chickens to drink adequately. The sugar will also elevate her glucose and give her an important energy boost.

Refrain from using extra vitamins during Corid treatment. This must be the only water source.

There is a chance, given the hen's history, that she has a chronic infection. It might be necessary to try to find an antibiotic for her. You will probably need to go through a vet unless you have antibiotics on hand.

This hen may have coccidiosis and I would treat all your chickens that you moved to your sister's. When chickens are moved to a new location, sometimes they will not be resistant to the local strain of coccidia and will then get sick. Corid liquid in the water at two teaspoons per gallon for five days, a week off, then five more days on Corid to get any that have hatched. Put a little sugar in the water to encourage her and the other chickens to drink adequately. The sugar will also elevate her glucose and give her an important energy boost.

Refrain from using extra vitamins during Corid treatment. This must be the only water source.

There is a chance, given the hen's history, that she has a chronic infection. It might be necessary to try to find an antibiotic for her. You will probably need to go through a vet unless you have antibiotics on hand.
Thank you so much!! I had been wondering about that, I'm heading out to get some right now!! I will look into the antibiotics too.
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read and answer me, that means a lot, I really appreciate it. I will keep you updated, and since I've got to probably go to Tractor Supply to pick that up should there be anything else there that I would maybe need to get while I'm there? What kind of container does the Corrid come in? Thank you!!

Is this it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_102535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_102535_Chrome.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1
Yes. That's the stuff! Pick up a bottle of Poultry Nutri-drench while you're there. But don't give these vitamins during the Corid treatment. Give her a dropper full each day between the Corid rounds. I like to sprinkle them on boiled rice. That should help put some weight back on her. Break a raw egg over the rice, as well. When you feed it to her, it helps to have one of her friends dine with her as it stimulates the weaker chicken to eat having a little dining partner. Start the boiled rice and egg right away. Save the vitamins for later.

Also I'm planning on going to TS to get some vitamins and safeguard. What else? Suggestions?? As I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out!

Attachments

• 20240519_181118.jpg
    20240519_181118.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240519_181214.jpg
    20240519_181214.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom