Need help sexing my 5 1/2 week old Orps and Marans (picture heavy)

Morrigan

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 9, 2014
N. California
I hatched 5 chicks on May 31 and bought 2 more buff orpington (sexed as females) on June 1. I've got 3 roosters for sure, 1 fairly sure its a rooster, 1 hen for sure,
1 hopeful it's a hen, and 1 runt who I have no clue about. Would love you thoughts.

Here are my 3 for sure roos (the Buff Orpington is one sexed as female!). Any disagreement?

IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
Next up is my fairly sure it's a rooster. It's as big as the other roosters, if not bigger. The comb is not quite as large or red and it doesn't do nearly the same amount of posturing and stare downs as the other roos. But it is definitely bold and one of the first to come to the food dish. I'm about 90% Roo at this point but still holding out a slender reed of hope. Its a mix of blue and buff columbian orpington. Any reason to think it's not a Roo?
IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

And last, here is my for sure hen, with the unknown runt behind her, followed by a few pictures of a lavender maran who I hope might be a hen. It is much, much smaller than any other bird except for the runt.

IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2056.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
I only see one pullet Buff Orpington un the 6th picture - the lavender Orpington that’s on the same pic is too young for me to guess. The rest appear to be cockerels

I only see one pullet Buff Orpington un the 6th picture - the lavender Orpington that’s on the same pic is too young for me to guess. The rest appear to be cockerels

Believe it or not, the lavender maran with the pullet is the exact same age as the rest. At 10 days old, it looked like the rest, but then it just stopped growing. Now it's slowly feathering out and getting bigger, but looks 2 or 3 weeks old at best. Whatever the sex on this one turns out to be, I have doubts about its hardiness and soundness.

On the last lavender maran pictured, is it the pink comb that makes you think cockerel? Until a week ago, I was sure it was a female, but in this last week, its comb began pinking up. It's quite small compared to the others and doesn't have red wattles yet. Not giving up hope on that one yet.

Or, maybe I'm just in denial that out of 7 chicks, I hatched out 4 cockerels and 1 runt, and purchased another rooster in the "guaranteed hen" bin. :barnie

Believe it or not, the lavender maran with the pullet is the exact same age as the rest. At 10 days old, it looked like the rest, but then it just stopped growing. Now it's slowly feathering out and getting bigger, but looks 2 or 3 weeks old at best. Whatever the sex on this one turns out to be, I have doubts about its hardiness and soundness.

On the last lavender maran pictured, is it the pink comb that makes you think cockerel? Until a week ago, I was sure it was a female, but in this last week, its comb began pinking up. It's quite small compared to the others and doesn't have red wattles yet. Not giving up hope on that one yet.

Or, maybe I'm just in denial that out of 7 chicks, I hatched out 4 cockerels and 1 runt, and purchased another rooster in the "guaranteed hen" bin. :barnie
The tiny one is probably a rooster with a slow maturing rate? Who knows! Hopefully not! Post pics of that bird in 3 more weeks to see.
I’m making my guess on the last lavender marans being a cockerel because of the amount of red/pink to the comb for the age on the picture. However, you could post pics of her/him by himself with natural lighting for better guessing. Standing, close-up of face with focus on the comb.
Marans male for the most part show themselves very early.

I'll update the ones still in question in a week or so.

That's interesting about marans showing themselves early. I was pretty sure about the 2 "for sure" marans by about 3 weeks. Their combs are huge now!

Now I've got to get these guys out of the brooder to make space for a second group of chicks, as I need some more hens.

One lucky rooster will get to be my replacement rooster, so I guess I should feel glad that I will have a nice group to pick from.

I'll update the ones still in question in a week or so.

That's interesting about marans showing themselves early. I was pretty sure about the 2 "for sure" marans by about 3 weeks. Their combs are huge now!

Now I've got to get these guys out of the brooder to make space for a second group of chicks, as I need some more hens.

One lucky rooster will get to be my replacement rooster, so I guess I should feel glad that I will have a nice group to pick from.
They are all beautiful birds you got. I’m jealous about the lavender Orpington you got lol

Back
Top Bottom