Need HELP on fridge incubator

Wafer thermostats are good for small incubators but they have big Dt and hard to adjust if located in the middle of a fridge

If you need it i can help on wiring i really can not think how it fail i use more than 5 in my aquariums for years with no problems and i can give you instructions how to calibrate

Last edited:
so any ideas on wiring the other one that I already bought? I will take a pic of it if you want to see what unit I purchased

please do i am an electronics enginear so i can help if i get it right from the picture

and please excuse my english

Last edited:
I built an incubator from a glass front wine fridge. It is about 3 feet tall and 18"x18" foot print. I used a 250watt Incukit from Incubator warehouse. It seems to work well. I had 24 RIR eggs in it to test it and and 22 have made it to lock-down with some type of action in them. Of the 2 that didnt make it, 1 was clear still and I dropped one. I will keep you posted on the hatch rate. I found after having 3 trays in it that it had better top to bottom and front to back temps with only 2 trays. The resevoirs at the bottom hold water for heat sinks as well as for humidity control. I have 3/8" silicone tubes so I can refill the resevoirs without opening the door. I have plans to do more if I can find some more glass front cabinets as I have had numerous people want to buy this one before I was even done with it or tested it.

Wafer thermostats are good for small incubators but they have big Dt and hard to adjust if located in the middle of a fridge

If you need it i can help on wiring i really can not think how it fail i use more than 5 in my aquariums for years with no problems and i can give you instructions how to calibrate

I disagree with that statement. Wafer thermostats can be used in almost all sized incubators. I have built a cabinet incubator, and used a wafer thermostat. My air temperature fluctuates between 99.3 and 100.4.

Wafer thermostats have been used for years in cabinet incubators.

Incukit is a perfect choice but some people can not afford it and it is not enough you need also fan and heating at the bottom if the container is too high as you mentioned for two trays it is ok! but for more you need the extra fan and heat at the bottom

Last edited:
I disagree with that statement. Wafer thermostats can be used in almost all sized incubators. I have built a cabinet incubator, and used a wafer thermostat. My air temperature fluctuates between 99.3 and 100.4.

Wafer thermostats have been used for years in cabinet incubators.

I agree with you in a way and and take back me statement i used in the past wafers (i am 65 years old he he) but the world goes on and technology makes life easier
having a wafer in the middle of a fridge with walls too thick to adjust from outside and trying to adjust it you have to admit it needs a lot patience

Last edited:
Incukit is a perfect choice but some people  can not afford it and it is not enough you need also fan and heating at the bottom if the container is too high as you  mentioned for two trays it is ok! but for more you need the extra fan and heat at the bottom

Most cabinet incubators have either heat at the bottom or at the top but rarely both that I have seen. I think the unit puts out plenty of heat with 225 watts but I agree I need to get the heat spread more throughout the unit. The Incukit brings the air in from the bottom of it and the blows the heated air out all 4 sides, that is why I have rounded corners in the unit and my shelves do not go all the way to the sides to allow air flow. I think the temps are with a degree or so top to bottom but I did not think this was even enough and space was tighter than I expected with 3 shelves + turners + eggs. I have more thermometers now and will check my temps with eggs next run as this is my first batch. Any advice is always appreciated. Where would you suggest fan placement?

Last edited:
I had the chance to seen a few commercially made incubators in Europe with 3 to 5 trays as i live Europe they all have a heating element and fan at the bottom and to be honest that is what i copied in my diy fridge incu
are located at the bottom just over the water trays about 15 cm from the bottom and blow downwards at an angle of about 35 to 40 degrees that helps also to increase the humidity by blowing at an angle to the water trays

A few others have the extra heating element at the bottom without fan

Last edited:
I had the chance to seen a few commercially made incubators in Europe with 3 to 5 trays as i live Europe they all have a heating element and fan at the bottom and to be honest that is what i copied in my diy fridge incu
are located at the bottom just over the water trays about 15 cm from the bottom and blow downwards at an angle of about 35 to 40 degrees that helps also to increase the humidity by blowing at an angle to the water trays

A few others have the extra  heating element at the bottom  without fan

Thank you for the info. I thought my cabinet was to small for 2 heaters and that was for the big commercial incubators. I will see about adding something to mine at the bottom. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom