Need advice safely transporting my girls to our new home

WahineChick

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
Aloha! We are moving from Maui to south east/mainland. I have 15 chickens I am taking with us. Well, and a 16 cat rescue and four working dogs. Lol. It is the chickens I am most concerned about transporting. I am reaching out to see if anyone out there has experience, recommendations on process, livestock flights, etc. we are more than happy to get them to the west coast, and then Drive them the rest of the way if that is better. I have also looked at chicken crates for safe transport…? Any thoughts are so appreciated.

I'd talk to the airline and see what they suggest for crates. They are going to have rules that you have to follow. Find out what they are from the airline. Another good source might be your extension service. You might call them and see if they have anything to offer.

What is the flight time to the West Coast? With layovers, how long would the trip be to fly close to the final destination. Baby chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch so they can go 72 hours or more before eating or drinking. Adult chickens can't go that long but I don't know how long they can go. Them eating and drinking water would be my concern.

Aloha! It's harder to bring animals into Hawaii, easier to bring to mainland but you should get any permit forms needed, submitted now to make sure they don't have to Quarantine on arrival. I've only done dogs to and from Big Island. Check out all non stop flights, you're right it's much shorter if you compare Seattle or Portland non-stop to somewhere like Atlanta. I find that Alaska Air is easier to work with and has more options than Hawaiian Air. Good Luck on your relocation! ~ Aloha nui 🤙🌈

:goodpost: Dog crates or cat crates will work, with some food on the bedding for them, and those waterers attached to the door that can be filled without opening the doors. There are transport cages designed for poultry, if that's what the airline wants.
Get all your paperwork done as soon as possible, last minute won't be good. have alternative plans at least for your chickens, if it's not possible to move them (AI comes to mind as a sudden problem).
This is a big trip for them! Consider leaving them where they are now instead.
Mary

Aloha! It's harder to bring animals into Hawaii, easier to bring to mainland but you should get any permit forms needed, submitted now to make sure they don't have to Quarantine on arrival. I've only done dogs to and from Big Island. Check out all non stop flights, you're right it's much shorter if you compare Seattle or Portland non-stop to somewhere like Atlanta. I find that Alaska Air is easier to work with and has more options than Hawaiian Air. Good Luck on your relocation! ~ Aloha nui 🤙🌈
Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it.

:goodpost: Dog crates or cat crates will work, with some food on the bedding for them, and those waterers attached to the door that can be filled without opening the doors. There are transport cages designed for poultry, if that's what the airline wants.
Get all your paperwork done as soon as possible, last minute won't be good. have alternative plans at least for your chickens, if it's not possible to move them (AI comes to mind as a sudden problem).
This is a big trip for them! Consider leaving them where they are now instead.
Mary
Thank you Mary. Mary, I am not familiar with AI..? Could you explain that? I appreciate your input so much. I am super concerned about the trip. The challenge on Hawaii, they will most likely be killed. Wild chickens run all over the islands, so heirloom or not, they won’t be valued. So I am starting early to see what we can possibly accomplish for transport. And hoping for a miracle…

I'd talk to the airline and see what they suggest for crates. They are going to have rules that you have to follow. Find out what they are from the airline. Another good source might be your extension service. You might call them and see if they have anything to offer.

What is the flight time to the West Coast? With layovers, how long would the trip be to fly close to the final destination. Baby chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch so they can go 72 hours or more before eating or drinking. Adult chickens can't go that long but I don't know how long they can go. Them eating and drinking water would be my concern.
Flight time from Hawaii to west coast is 5-5.5 hours. We would not use commercial as they do not have climate control. Hoping to get them on a livestock plane. There would be a plane change from maui in Honolulu, and then on to California or somewhere just east of california. My concern/question is how well would they travel, and is it less stressful to take them as far east as I can with a couple of plane changes, or one plane change, land in or just past the west coast and drive them? Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

HPAI: highly pathogenic avian influenza, it's been here for two years, and with millions of poultry and many wild birds and some wild mammals dead. Now it's also involving dairy herds, at least the cattle are only mildly sick, and a very few people, also not dying.
Look at the CDC's website at least, it's a big deal on the mainland, and might affect your travel plans once here.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom